Alice Community  

Go Back   Alice Community > Alice 2 > How do I...?

Tutoring in Alice 4 1st Time
Old
wcccpctutor

Default Tutoring in Alice 4 1st Time - 02-03-2010, 10:09 AM

Hi all,

My first post.

I tutor, at our local college, in several of the computer course subjects. The subject I'm tutoring in, for only the second time, is Cpt. 160 Introduction to Programming. The instructor decided to use "STARTING OUT WITH ALICE" textbook, for this course.

I was able to buy "PROGRAMMING LOGIC & DESIGN" textbook on eBay, at a reasonable price, but have been unable to purchase "STARTING OUT WITH ALICE" for a reasonable price.

I put a request in, to my bossl, for a copy and, if approved, will may not receive it until the summer/fall semester.

I will not be able to take the student's book home. Can anyone suggest the best approach to this situation? I see all of the post, but will not be an undaunted task.

I want to learn Alice, on my own, but would ask questions here, if I get stuck.

Thanks in advance.

Respectfully,

wcccpctutor

Old
jediaction

Default 02-03-2010, 10:34 AM

I do not know exatlcy what to tell you and i did not know Alice 4 came out?

FaceBook: www.facebook.com/SalokinGames

Old
x2495iiii
Super Moderator

Default 02-03-2010, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wcccpctutor View Post
I will not be able to take the student's book home. Can anyone suggest the best approach to this situation? I see all of the post, but will not be an undaunted task.

I want to learn Alice, on my own, but would ask questions here, if I get stuck.
In my opinion, the best way to learn Alice is by experimenting with it. If you see something you don't understand, try dragging onto the scripting area. If that doesn't work, try dragging it into an if/else if's "true" value. Keep doing things like this until you think you understand what it does, then brainstorm a way for what you've just learned to be useful in an Alice world and make that world.

What kept me motivated was applying all the things I learned to making games. I would think about what I'd just learned and what function that could serve in a video game.

Remember, though, you have another, very powerful resource: the Alice community. On these forums are several very experienced Alice users who've made a great many functional and complex Alice worlds, and we're all willing to help if you have any specific questions.

In conclusion, welcome to Alice!

(')>

Tutoring in Alice (Should Be) For (4) The 1st Time
Old
wcccpctutor

Default Tutoring in Alice (Should Be) For (4) The 1st Time - 02-03-2010, 11:29 AM

Hi x2495iiii,

Thanks for the Welcome!

Thanks for the quick reply!

"the best way to learn Alice is by experimenting with it"
I definitely love doing that!

I will not get the opportunity to check out my student's textbook until maybe Friday or Monday. What are the 1st 2 steps one should take?

What type of videos and games? What age group? I read somewhere that grade and high school kids can learn to use this.

My 1st student is here, but I will check out my "very powerful resource: the Alice community". I'm glad this community exist, especially for my student. This is her first semester.

Later,

wcccpctutor

Old
jediaction

Default 02-03-2010, 12:20 PM

I learned alice with a little bit of my cousins help and no text book and look what games im making. Its just experience. If you do it enough, you will learn it swill. Welcome to the Alice community. I am jediaction and I make FPS, Guitar hero, Mirrors edge, and now RPG games. If you have any quesitons, please send a privet message to me or x2495iiii, or i might not get to look at it

Old
x2495iiii
Super Moderator

Default 02-03-2010, 12:52 PM

Quote:
I will not get the opportunity to check out my student's textbook until maybe Friday or Monday. What are the 1st 2 steps one should take?
I guess I'd start by adding an object of your choice to the world, then experimenting with the built in methods for that object. To access them, click the object (or the object's name in the list in the upper-left corner of the screen), then click the methods tab in the center-left part of the screen. You should see several tiles underneath with things like "move," "turn," and "roll" on them. Try telling the object to move in one of the six directions. Then try combining move with another action with the "do together" tile on the bottom of the screen.

Quote:
What type of videos and games? What age group? I read somewhere that grade and high school kids can learn to use this.
That they can! Alice can be used to make all kinds of basic videos and games. It isn't a powerhouse though, so it can't be used to make the next smash hit PS3 game, but it's still capable of some pretty cool stuff.

As for age groups, Alice is focused on younger users, like late elementary to junior high, but that doesn't mean people off all ages can't enjoy it and make their own kinds of videos and games. Case and point: Resident Penguin, a game made with Alice.

Go ahead and give Resident Penguin a shot. It's a game I made with the hopes of having teachers show it to students their first day of class so they could see what kinds of cool stuff they could do with Alice.

(')>

Old
jediaction

Default 02-03-2010, 04:55 PM

I would like teachers to show my mirors edge game for the first day of class with resident penguin. I would LOVE THAT

Tutoring in Alice For The 1st Time
Old
wcccpctutor

Default Tutoring in Alice For The 1st Time - 02-04-2010, 07:20 PM

Hi all,

Well, I guess your wondering, why I'm tutoring in Alice, if I haven't taken the class, yet! I did tutor the Intro to Programming course subject last semester. The instructor would lecture 1 or 2 weeks, using Farreell and 1 or 2weeks with Gaddis. The student, for whatever reason, wanted to just continue with the Intro.

I'm am happy to get the opportunity to learn it. I ran into my former student and was able to borrow her book. I understand, from the book, this approach, with Alice, will help with learning VB.Net.

Hey x2495iiii, I love your "Resident Penguins". You really set the bar really high; and I have something to look forward to. I will definitely get a lot of request from family members.

I'm still looking at the other ones I found.

Does Alice need to be installed on someone's pc before the games/videos to play?

Will definitely be, if I get really stuck, asking questions.

Thanks in advance.

wcccpctutor

Old
x2495iiii
Super Moderator

Default 02-04-2010, 10:22 PM

Thanks, I'm glad you liked RP! Be sure and encourage your students post on the threads of the games they like, as it's always encouraging to hear from a satisfied player.

Unfortunately, yes Alice does have to be installed for the .a2w files to be read. There are some alternatives, however.

-If you'd like to play an Alice game or start an Alice movie without Actually starting Alice (maybe you don't want the students to see the code before they play it), there's a special Alice player here. (Note: the player only works if Alice is installed)

-If you have a movie you'd really like to watch outside of Alice and the movie has no interaction in it whatsoever, then you could use the Export Video option to make it a .mov file, then use a video converter to convert it to a more popular format (I use Format Factory and .avi myself), or use Quicktime to play it. (Note: the video exporter can be somewhat problematic, you may ned to set the speed multiplier under the world's seldom used properties to a hugher number, or you may need to simply play the world normally and use a different recording program, like CamStudio, to record it).

-If you only need to convert a few .a2w files to standalones, you can download the trial version of Mama from this site (it's a 30-day full version trial), import the Alice worlds, then convert them to standalones from there. These standalones will not be compatible with Alice anymore, but they will be able to run without Alice.

(')>

Old
jediaction

Default 02-05-2010, 09:11 AM

From what i know, you just downlaodit and extract and bam!