Alice Community  

Go Back   Alice Community > Announcements > Community News and Announcements

To Mr. x2495iiii
Old
KaiChang

Default To Mr. x2495iiii - 12-02-2009, 11:07 AM

I have been inactive for the past few weeks,
but right when I arrive on the forum, whats this I see?
Moderator to the Penguin man?

Congrats, lol.
You deserved it. Keep up the good work man.

Congratulations
Kai

Old
x2495iiii
Super Moderator

Default 12-07-2009, 02:37 AM

Thanks again to everyone supporting me! However, I have an important thought to share with you all:

Recently, it's been brought to my attention that a good amount of my posts, examples, and resources involve some sort of violence.

First let me say that it's was never my intention to emphasize violence when I made Resident Penguin. I was trying to prove that an enjoyable, good-sized, and fully functional game could be made with Alice, as this was a question raised by more than a few aspiring video game developers on these forums. It was my hope that Resident Penguin could be a world shown to new students on their first day of class so they could see what kinds of things they could do if they became proficient with Alice.

Second, I'd like to take this opportunity to announce a few of my non-violent works in the making:

-I plan to upload other, non-violent collections of models, like the wheelchair recently asked for (having a hard time finding a low-poly model, but I'll find one), medical supplies asked for a while ago, urban ambient objects (like newspaper stands and higher-res city terrain), and more. I'd also like to remind everyone that, though I did post a tutorial of how to import objects at the top of the How Do I...? forum, I usually take requests for 3d models and provide them when asked, so feel free to ask.

-I've been experimenting with billboards in Alice and have created an interesting world with only something that could be conceived as cartoon violence by some. It should strike a nostalgic chord with all you gamers out there. It isn't anywhere NEAR finished, though.

Finally, I'd simply like to note that, though it is considered 'uncreative,' violence, even in the slightest doses (such as in my experimental world), has always been popular and appropriate among all age groups when used correctly (think Bugs Bunny with a mallet). Due to this popularity, it can be an effective means of attracting people, especially young students, to get involved in learning to program with Alice.
Attached Files
File Type: a2w Experiment_2.0.a2w (2.97 MB, 58 views)

(')>

Old
lanceA

Default 12-08-2009, 08:41 PM

[QUOTE=x2495iiii;13992]Thanks again to everyone supporting me! However, I have an important thought to share with you all:

Recently, it's been brought to my attention that a good amount of my posts, examples, and resources involve some sort of violence.

A good story always involves some form of conflict. The interesting part of the story is how the student solves the conflict without blowing heads off, maiming people for life, etc.

Experience how this young 9th grade student embrassed programming and Alice without blowing legs, arms, eyes off.

http://www.alice.org/community/showt...highlight=ajax
(Scroll down to the Ajax.A2W world)

I disagree with your excuse for including violence. The killing of "things" does not appeal to all potential programming students; especially the females that Dann, Cooper, Pausch were trying to encourage into joining a programming class. Programming is not limited to the male population! Please try and include the female group when posting - computer programming is not sexist.

Thank you,

Last edited by lanceA; 12-08-2009 at 09:05 PM.

Old
x2495iiii
Super Moderator

Default 12-08-2009, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lanceA View Post
The interesting part of the story is how the student solves the conflict without blowing heads off, maiming people for life, etc.
First that depends on how you define interesting. For example, I find programming interesting, and many other people find it boring. Likewise, I found that world largely uninteresting, but I did find it creative.

Second, I find it interesting that none of my worlds (or any worlds I've seen on these boards, for that matter) have featured either of those two things you mentioned. Have you actually played Resident Penguin? If it were to be made into a real video game, it'd be rated E.

Quote:
The killing of "things" does not appeal to all potential programming students
I never said it did. However, I did say that some forms of violence appeal to many people, most of those being young people, which is what Alice is geared towards.

Quote:
Programming is not limited to the male population!
I feel a bit like I'm in a press conference, addressing all these twisted interpretations of my words. If you'll check my post, you'll notice that I never mentioned gender, in fact I simply said that it appeals to many, which it does.

Quote:
computer programming is not sexist.
But the erroneous assumption that all males are violent and all females are nonviolent is sexist.

It seems I'll never be able to please some people, as I've already apologized SEVERAL times, made an effort to teach many different concepts (violent and nonviolent) in many different ways (coding and instructional), and released many different examples and resources (violent and nonviolent) for the users of Alice to learn from and enjoy. I've done all I can, so at this point, all that's left to do is move on.

By the way, in case any of you were worried, I'm still releasing RP4.

(')>

Old
lanceA

Default 12-09-2009, 08:40 PM

No Problem.

You did not comprehend what you read, which I see in others quite often.

The point was: violence is not a prerequisite to bringing young people into programming. ACTUALLY, you don't even need VIOLENCE!! LOOK AT WHAT I DID with that student!! And that student has continued to grow in Computer Science - with NO violence.

Do you have a real job?

Old
Dameria

Default 12-09-2009, 08:53 PM

lanceA just relax, he is not abusing his power or doing anything that he should not be doing. He has been a great moderator so far, and there is no reason for you to keep insulting him and exaggerating the truths. I think that x2495iiii has only helped, and I have not seen him even once do something that I thought was offensive or wrong.

Old
lanceA

Default 12-09-2009, 09:25 PM

I'm not exaggerating any truths. But do we really need to bring people into the world of programming using VIOLENCE? We can't do it peacefully?

Is this forum going to become WarCraft II ? I thought it was a forum to teach young people the basics of programming - not how depict an arm or a leg being blown away!

Some how I believe the ROOM is moving in a direction not intended by the originators. I could be wrong.

Perhaps we should ask Gabe?

Old
x2495iiii
Super Moderator

Default 12-09-2009, 10:43 PM

First of all, I told you already that I asked him.

http://www.alice.org/community/showt...?t=3513&page=2

Second, I already told you there AREN'T any worlds with people being dismembered, maimed, gored, eviscerated, disemboweled, impaled, or any other big word for hurt badly you can think of. If there was, I'd delete it immediately, as that is considered mature content.

Third, no one is forcing anyone to look at, use, or otherwise be subjected to violence. At the moment, the only way anyone could be exposed to even the remotest bit of shooting violence is by willfully choosing to download Resident Penguin or my weapons collection.

I understand that you're trying to do your part to keep the forums clean and safe for learning programmers of all ages, but the best way you can do that is by keeping an eye out for worlds with such violent acts as the ones you mentioned and report them to me so I can delete them. Saying that I can't comprehend what I read and that I'm sexist is definitely not the way to get what you want done accomplished.

(')>

Last edited by x2495iiii; 12-16-2009 at 09:22 AM.

hello congrats
Old
drin

Default hello congrats - 12-15-2009, 01:52 AM

i would like to ask a qustion, im a beginner using alice,ahm im doing a simple question and answer game so i created a list of questions and answer with different variable
and my problem is when the list of questions are randomly display d question i cant filter it with my answer. the thing i would like to do is this.. if the selected question is equal to the answer i selected from the list of the answer. thnx hope you can help me with this thanx n congrats drin

Old
Slayer2520

Default 12-15-2009, 09:48 AM

I too wish to congratulate him. he is very helpful and i can only see this online community becoming better with his skill.
________
macintosh games

Last edited by Slayer2520; 02-02-2011 at 12:23 AM.

Tags
moderator, x2495jjjj