Alice Community  

Go Back   Alice Community > Alice 2 > How do I...?

how do i make a random number not appear twice
Old
nickster654

Default how do i make a random number not appear twice - 08-16-2011, 08:07 PM

i have a method where a variable makes a random number between 1 and 22 (i used the random fuction) and every time someone answers a question correct a random number is made (the numbers are connected to questions so that when a random number is chosen a random question is chosen) but sometimes (rarely) the random number will be the same as the number before, how to i make it so that a random number wont repeat?

Old
legolizard

Default 08-16-2011, 08:45 PM

Interesting question with a mathmatically simple explanation and a not so good way of stopping it. You see computers actually generate not-so-random numbers. This meaning the numbers generated are random to a certain extent. This is why they are called pseudo-random generators. Now there is really no concreate way to fix this as most random things aren't. The only way that might help is to make an if statment to check to see if the number is equal to a previous number and if it is then make another number. However it is still possible that you will get the same number.

Does that make sense?

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."-Albert Einstein

Old
kidum2011

Default 08-17-2011, 05:51 AM

you can create an array for the whole numbers, and to set empty each number that was taken.

Old
nickster654

Default 08-17-2011, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by legolizard View Post
Interesting question with a mathmatically simple explanation and a not so good way of stopping it. You see computers actually generate not-so-random numbers. This meaning the numbers generated are random to a certain extent. This is why they are called pseudo-random generators. Now there is really no concreate way to fix this as most random things aren't. The only way that might help is to make an if statment to check to see if the number is equal to a previous number and if it is then make another number. However it is still possible that you will get the same number.

Does that make sense?
yeaa that makes perfect sense, but it would no take foreverrrr in m situation

solution to the solution
Old
Jabadahut50

Default solution to the solution - 08-19-2011, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickster654 View Post
yeaa that makes perfect sense, but it would no take foreverrrr in m situation
if you take his solution and add in 24 variables that change when there question is used and when the ranomizer picks the activated variable it will redo the roll until it gets a non picked number. the 24th variable activates when the original 23 are used up and will stop the randomizing loops that would cause an error. Hope this helps.

Old
InsertName

Default 08-19-2011, 07:52 PM

make 2 variables (a, b).
set a to random number
set a to b
do whatever with the variable you want
set a to random number
if a is equal to b
repeat
if not continue

__№_₤⅞__