Alice Community  

Go Back   Alice Community > Announcements > Community News and Announcements

Forum cleaning time - Suggestions welcome!
Old
gabe
Administrator

Default Forum cleaning time - Suggestions welcome! - 09-25-2006, 03:45 PM

I will be moving some threads around and possible creating/deleting forums. If you have any suggestions on how to improve the forums, either by rearranging stuff, adding something new or doing things differently, now is the time to voice your opinion!

I will keep this thread open for 2 weeks (don't hold me to that).

Please archive the old material
Old
DrJim

Default Please archive the old material - 09-25-2006, 04:45 PM

One thing I hope you do is archive in raw (but searchable) form the old material. Regardless of how hard we try, we'll realize we really would of liked a copy of something about two weeks or so after it's removed (and have the same problem periodically thereafter).

Jim

Old
gabe
Administrator

Default 09-25-2006, 05:06 PM

Jim,

What do you mean by "after it's removed"? I thought I had things set up to never delete anything (unless I personally do it manually).

Can you not see all the threads in the subforums? It could be a simple permissions thing I overlooked. (As an admin, I see all, so I just assumed registered users could also see everything.)

Old
gabe
Administrator

Default 09-25-2006, 05:13 PM

OK, I think I have set this up correctly. You should be able to see all threads instead of from the past x days/weeks. Please let me know if this is the case.

Old
Mr Nemo

Default 09-25-2006, 09:02 PM

A suggestion would be too make a general forum for socialization. For reasons why, please see the most recent? post on the student lounge forum.

My Mistake
Old
DrJim

Default My Mistake - 09-26-2006, 12:57 AM

I had interpreted "deleting forums" as meaning removing everything, including the posts in the forum, from online access.

Old
gabe
Administrator

Default 09-26-2006, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrJim View Post
I had interpreted "deleting forums" as meaning removing everything, including the posts in the forum, from online access.
Jim,

I haven't deleted anything from the forums except the occasional duplicate post or spam. You should be able to access everything since the beginning, either through searching or going page-by-page.

If this is not the case, let me know. Note that you can also customize how many posts are shown per page as well as teh default thread age cut off by going into your User CP > Edit Options.

Old
gabe
Administrator

Default 09-26-2006, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Nemo View Post
A suggestion would be too make a general forum for socialization. For reasons why, please see the most recent? post on the student lounge forum.
I had originally intended the student lounge to be for anything that didn't fit in the other forums...including socialization. Hence the description "general discussion."

Old
gabe
Administrator

Default 09-26-2006, 12:19 PM

OK, I shuffled things up a bit.

1. Changed Student Discussion to General Discussion, as not all questions on how to do things with Alice come from students.

2. Changed Student Lounge to The Lounge. As per Mr Nemo's suggestion, this will now be the place to talk about anything that doesn't fit in the other forums, either Alice-related or otherwise (although I would prefer you try to stay on topic).

3. Renamed Comments and Inquiries to Questions and Comments and moved it from Administrative Stuff to General Discussion. I'm not 100% pleased with this so it might change. I want a subforum for questions and comments that aren't about functionality, i.e. how to do something. I might want to break this up further to make it easier to sort things out...any thoughts on clarification or how to improve this?

Idea
Old
Shadow Sovereign

Lightbulb Idea - 11-03-2006, 09:06 AM

Here's an idea... try moving the textbook section into Q&C (questions & comments) since what's most in there is questions anyway. The Contests section (and whatever else specifically has to do with the forums) could go into a 'What's New?' section or something, too.

If I think up of any more useful ideas, you'll be the first to know...