Alice Community  

Go Back   Alice Community > General Discussion > Questions and Comments

Comments
Old
DrJim

Default Comments - 09-24-2006, 12:38 PM

Re Biturn and virus's, etc. - think you're OK - at least I was this morning. I just downloaded bi088.rar, extracted the files and ran it on three machines, followed by a full virus scan on all three with two different virus protection programs. Nothing found on two and a couple of spyware programs on the third, which I hadn't scanned for a while. Sadly , that's about as good as it's going to get.

I've also extracted the .rar files using both 7-Zip, which you may have if you're running Windows XP, and the standard .rar compress/extract program (WinRar or something close). 7-Zip has the advantage of being free. Both work fine.

Haven't looked at Truespace 3.2 in detail yet but it's worth downloading, since it's free, just for the tutorials. They are detailed and animated and, in my opinion, really good. They really doen't cover anything related to learing to program - but they do illustrate why Alice is not the final tool to use for games, film animation, etc. It does seem to need quite a bit of memory and speed - don't have it running on my old laptop yet and it wasn’t real quick on the other machine I tried.

One added note, if you're looking for 3-D graphics and animation programs, you might take a look at MilkShape, http://www.milkshape3d.com/ . This had been mentioned in an earlier post and I only looked at it quickly, but if you want to convert gamers to programmers this might be a start. (I did like the slogan on one ad, "Hast du Root4Gamers, Hast du Alles" - pretty much sums up the whole thrust of the effort.)

Jim

Paranoia has been addressed, thank you!
Old
Mr Nemo

Default Paranoia has been addressed, thank you! - 09-25-2006, 10:18 PM

Second question, what is the name of the program that you are using biturn to convert files from?

Quite honestly, I don't know
Old
DrJim

Unhappy Quite honestly, I don't know - 09-26-2006, 12:51 AM

I had a batch of .3ds and .lwo files from previous work and just tried a few of them - just enough to try it out. Probably got 70% through which is OK for random files from disk - I have many bad habits when creating files - forgetting to select the object to be saved among them. Haven't really spent much time importing new objects into Alice - mostly running Alice itself and/or trying to generate something worth importing.

Also remember that even if you are paranoid, they still may be after you. In the case of viruses, etc., I'm sure that's true.

Jim

Old
m0u53m4t

Default 10-09-2006, 02:21 AM

If you're unsure about viruses, just test it here: http://virusscan.jotti.org/ If that picks up nothing, then its clean, I assure you.

Old
Heart_Flame

Default 10-18-2006, 09:26 PM

Wings 3D is an awesome & simple 3D modeling program.

Comments on Milkshape.
Old
Link

Default Comments on Milkshape. - 11-01-2006, 08:48 AM

As a user of milkshape myself I'd say I favor it over other 3D model programs, because it is exact. It deals more with numbers on coordinate planes than molding a model together. Then again, I've only used two programs for 3D modeling. Also I'd point out Milkshape requires you to purchase it after a 30 day free trial.

Another opinion (or two).
Old
DrJim

Cool Another opinion (or two). - 11-01-2006, 05:59 PM

I've recently been working some with five different free/shareware 3D modeling package - Wings3D, Milkshape, TrueSpace, Rhinegold 3D and Google SketchUp - all seem very useable. (There is also Blender, which is in a class by itself, but also unfortunately is only "expert friendly." I'd still recommend checking out their site just for tutorials.) Only one thing is fairly clear - the world really doesn't need another such 3D package.

I've personally found Wings3D to be the best overall match to Alice - but then I'm not very interested in games and thus I'm probably short changing Milkshape a bit. Even so, Milkshape would be my second choice.

Also, Wings3D does seems to have occasional quirks about being not connected to the Internet which I don't really understand yet, but which might be a problem for some users.

Re Milkshape - have you had any success importing into Alice from it?

Also, both times I tried to register my copy of Milkshape, the attempt failed. (It runs fine unregistered after 30 days - you just can't save.) A shareware program that makes it hard to register leaves a bit of a bitter taste in my mouth - guess I need a milkshake.

Old
X Death

Post 01-21-2012, 10:44 PM

Hey, I wonder if there is a way to transfer files from Google SketchUp to Alice 2.2 without all of the downloads. I do not have infinite CPU space, you know.

Old
GameKid

Default 01-21-2012, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by X Death View Post
Hey, I wonder if there is a way to transfer files from Google SketchUp to Alice 2.2 without all of the downloads. I do not have infinite CPU space, you know.
This thread is older than my sister! I don't think anybody has any more conversation here.

[COLOR=e4eaf2]Your text here[/COLOR]
Come on, you know you want to try it.

Old
TauTrumpsPi

Default 01-22-2012, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by X Death View Post
But to answer your question, no there's not.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I have plenty of common sense. I just choose to ignore it.
-Calvin and Hobbes

Wondering about my Avatar?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tardigrade

Wondering about my username?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jG7vhMMXagQ