Alice Community  

Go Back   Alice Community > Alice 2 > How do I...?

A ?? for .gif
Old
scrlk1992

Smile A ?? for .gif - 01-17-2009, 05:58 AM

Hi~i've a problem for the .gif in alice.....i used Photoshop to hide the background in my photo,it is limpid.Then i put the photo inside alice.But the background of photo change to the black color...how can i make it limpid in alice..

sorry for my english.
Titlis.

Old
DrJim

Default 01-17-2009, 09:53 AM

I'm not sure what you mean by "the background is limpid."

If you just want transparency, be sure the background is transparent in Photoshop (or another program) and then export in .png format and input that into Alice. I believe that is the only format in which Alice recognizes transparency.

If you truely want a liquid-like semi-transparent background, you'll have to experiment a bit. I'm not sure how well Alice imports various degrees of transparency - but I'm sure it's machine dependent (Mac vs. PC) and probably depends on the capabilities of your graphics card also.

To avoid having to figure out the hardware dependencies, I'd import the picture with a purely transparent background and then import a non-transparent version of the background. Line them up and then play with the opacity and the emisssive and specular "seldom used" properties until you get the effect you want.

Old
RockyTheConcreteDonkey

Question 01-17-2009, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrJim View Post
I'm not sure what you mean by "the background is limpid."

If you just want transparency, be sure the background is transparent in Photoshop (or another program) and then export in .png format and input that into Alice. I believe that is the only format in which Alice recognizes transparency.

If you truely want a liquid-like semi-transparent background, you'll have to experiment a bit. I'm not sure how well Alice imports various degrees of transparency - but I'm sure it's machine dependent (Mac vs. PC) and probably depends on the capabilities of your graphics card also.

To avoid having to figure out the hardware dependencies, I'd import the picture with a purely transparent background and then import a non-transparent version of the background. Line them up and then play with the opacity and the emisssive and specular "seldom used" properties until you get the effect you want.

Shouldnt alice have a transparent color such as black or white?

Old
DrJim

Default 01-19-2009, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyTheConcreteDonkey View Post
Shouldnt alice have a transparent color such as black or white?
Again - I'm really not sure I'm understanding the question. Hence two different answers.

First, if you mean just a single color or patterened background you can change without needing a billboard - sure. Just use the square and adjust it's parameters as needed. (See example.)

If you mean something like the .gif transparent color - no. .gif is a very old format and defines colors by mapping a single 8-bit number into a set of color, transparency and other surface parameters. It is fairly simple to reserve one of the 256 values - often black - for transparency. However, this does also limit the color options available.

Alice, and nearly every other modern program, uses a 32-bit number to define surface parameters. Eight bits each are reserved for red, green and blue (RGB) channels while the fourth 8-bit set - the "alpha channel" - is used to define other surface parameters, including opacity. Much more flexibility - but occasional backwards compatibility problems with .gif and a few other older formats. (There is no such thing as a "free" lunch.)
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg capture00.jpeg (20.2 KB, 52 views)

already done :)
Old
RockyTheConcreteDonkey

Wink already done :) - 01-19-2009, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrJim View Post
Again - I'm really not sure I'm understanding the question. Hence two different answers.

First, if you mean just a single color or patterened background you can change without needing a billboard - sure. Just use the square and adjust it's parameters as needed. (See example.)

If you mean something like the .gif transparent color - no. .gif is a very old format and defines colors by mapping a single 8-bit number into a set of color, transparency and other surface parameters. It is fairly simple to reserve one of the 256 values - often black - for transparency. However, this does also limit the color options available.

Alice, and nearly every other modern program, uses a 32-bit number to define surface parameters. Eight bits each are reserved for red, green and blue (RGB) channels while the fourth 8-bit set - the "alpha channel" - is used to define other surface parameters, including opacity. Much more flexibility - but occasional backwards compatibility problems with .gif and a few other older formats. (There is no such thing as a "free" lunch.)
well thats okay, I uploaded my 'AT Stabber' Video yesterday... The transparency worked great (I used GIMP to change the Alpha channel transparent color) then saved it as a png.

AT Stabber.jpg

.gif to .png converter
Old
DrJim

Default .gif to .png converter - 01-19-2009, 02:13 PM

I've mentioned it before, but since this is one of my favorite programs - plus it's free -thought I'd do so again.

Take a look at Irfanview (http://www.irfanview.com/). It is a viewer/convertor that works for a lot of different formats. One particularly nice feature is a batch conversion option - which is really nice if you want to convert an animated .gif to a series of .png files and keep transparency. It's then fairly simple to import the .png files, put them into a list and switch through them to get the animation action in Alice.