Alice Community  

Go Back   Alice Community > Alice 2 > How do I...?

Error when trying to play sound
Old
highwhey_14

Default Error when trying to play sound - 12-15-2009, 09:13 PM

I get this error when I try to play the sound. It's MP3 format, 4-5mb song at 128kbps. I appreciate any help, thanks.
EDIT: I converted the MP3 file into WAV, but it still gives me the error.

Quote:
Alice version: 2.2 8/1/2009

*****Running World*****

Exception in thread "JMF thread: com.sun.media.PlaybackEngine@15ff886 ( prefetchThread)" java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Requested value 7.9588003 exceeds allowable maximum value 6.0206.

at javax.sound.sampled.FloatControl.setValue(Unknown Source)

at com.sun.media.sound.DirectAudioDevice$DirectDL$Gai n.setValue(Unknown Source)

at com.sun.media.renderer.audio.device.JavaSoundOutpu t.setGain(JavaSoundOutput.java:157)

at com.sun.media.renderer.audio.AudioRenderer.initDev ice(AudioRenderer.java:294)

at com.sun.media.renderer.audio.JavaSoundRenderer.ini tDevice(JavaSoundRenderer.java:125)

at com.sun.media.renderer.audio.JavaSoundRenderer.ope n(JavaSoundRenderer.java:91)

at com.sun.media.BasicRendererModule.doPrefetch(Basic RendererModule.java:157)

at com.sun.media.BasicTrackControl.prefetchTrack(Basi cTrackControl.java:98)

at com.sun.media.PlaybackEngine.doPrefetch1(PlaybackE ngine.java:592)

at com.sun.media.PlaybackEngine.doPrefetch(PlaybackEn gine.java:547)

at com.sun.media.PrefetchWorkThread.process(BasicCont roller.java:1430)

at com.sun.media.StateTransitionWorkThread.run(BasicC ontroller.java:1339)

*****Stopping World*****

*****Running World*****

Exception in thread "JMF thread: com.sun.media.PlaybackEngine@1732b56 ( prefetchThread)" java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Requested value 7.9588003 exceeds allowable maximum value 6.0206.

at javax.sound.sampled.FloatControl.setValue(Unknown Source)

at com.sun.media.sound.DirectAudioDevice$DirectDL$Gai n.setValue(Unknown Source)

at com.sun.media.renderer.audio.device.JavaSoundOutpu t.setGain(JavaSoundOutput.java:157)

at com.sun.media.renderer.audio.AudioRenderer.initDev ice(AudioRenderer.java:294)

at com.sun.media.renderer.audio.JavaSoundRenderer.ini tDevice(JavaSoundRenderer.java:125)

at com.sun.media.renderer.audio.JavaSoundRenderer.ope n(JavaSoundRenderer.java:91)

at com.sun.media.BasicRendererModule.doPrefetch(Basic RendererModule.java:157)

at com.sun.media.BasicTrackControl.prefetchTrack(Basi cTrackControl.java:98)

at com.sun.media.PlaybackEngine.doPrefetch1(PlaybackE ngine.java:592)

at com.sun.media.PlaybackEngine.doPrefetch(PlaybackEn gine.java:547)

at com.sun.media.PrefetchWorkThread.process(BasicCont roller.java:1430)

at com.sun.media.StateTransitionWorkThread.run(BasicC ontroller.java:1339)

Last edited by highwhey_14; 12-15-2009 at 09:27 PM.

Old
highwhey_14

Default 12-15-2009, 10:00 PM

ok, so does Alice not allow for sound to play or what? I've tried over 20 songs, some 10 seconds short, others 5 minutes long and I always get the same error. Both MP3 and Wav files do not function. Whats the problem here?
I was on 2.2 version of Alice, so I'm going to delete that and download 2.0 and try this again. Fingers crossed, it's becoming very frustrating. I must get this working properly. I've searched every single thread on this forum and have found that I am not the only one with this problem, so I am trying out all suggestions that were listed.

EDIT: FINALLY!!! I got the sound to play in Alice 2.0, 2.2 can go to hell and die. It took me 4 hours of searching, trial and error to get a song to play, albeit, the song is mighty awesome, but I could've written a song in a shorter amount of time than it took me to get Alice to play it properly. I know, I barely make sense but it's late in the night, 4 am here and I haven't had coffee.

Last edited by highwhey_14; 12-15-2009 at 11:25 PM.

Old
Slayer2520

Default 12-16-2009, 09:00 AM

Okay so I dug up from an older post that a part of Alice seems to become corrupt after playing sounds after awhile. I too shared your pain in not being able to play sounds. Just download Alice again, or if you have a backup simply unzip it and replace it, and your sounds should be playing again. ^^
________
BMW 326

Last edited by Slayer2520; 02-02-2011 at 12:24 AM.

Old
highwhey_14

Default 12-16-2009, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slayer2520 View Post
Okay so I dug up from an older post that a part of Alice seems to become corrupt after playing sounds after awhile. I too shared your pain in not being able to play sounds. Just download Alice again, or if you have a backup simply unzip it and replace it, and your sounds should be playing again. ^^
thx, i got it to work on 2.0, it is very frustrating, especially when you work very hard at it only to be stopped by an error that can not be fixed by simply adjusting the code. i re-installed 2.2 and it still doesn't play sound, so for the meanwhile i am using 2.0, it seems to be more trouble-free.

Old
Dennis Cosgrove
Alice Developer

Default 02-18-2010, 11:25 AM

I have just encountered this problem as I was adding sound to Alice3. There seems to be a bug in setting the volume level in Java Media Framework. I have posted a work around:

http://forums.sun.com/thread.jspa?me...32314#10932314

which I will pass on to the people working on Alice2.2.

Quote:
Originally Posted by highwhey_14 View Post
I get this error when I try to play the sound. It's MP3 format, 4-5mb song at 128kbps. I appreciate any help, thanks.
EDIT: I converted the MP3 file into WAV, but it still gives me the error.

How do you incorporate your workaround?
Old
bedlam

Default How do you incorporate your workaround? - 10-20-2010, 09:11 PM

Hi Dennis, I am having what appears to be the same no-sound problem. I am taking a class that uses Alice 2.0, and I am running ubuntu linux. How do I incorporate your workaround into my Alice environment? My java is sketchy and self-taught (hence the reason for taking classes), but I am always up for a challenge.

Thanks,

Andrew