Alice Community  

Go Back   Alice Community > Alice 2 > Share Worlds

Old
x2495iiii
Super Moderator

Default 10-24-2009, 07:12 PM

And it's done! This is the most I've ever worked on a project, so I really do hope you guys enjoy it. It's HUGE though, so you may want to close your internet connection while you play, to free up processor power.

Another trick I've found helpful is playing the world, then doing few things (like shooting, pressing pause, letting the zombies kick you, etc.) and then restarting the world. I've noticed it tends to run faster when it's done it once before (cache memory?).

Anyway, here are the controls:
-Hold 'A' to turn left and 'D' to turn right
-Press 'S' to switch weapons forward, and 'X' to switch backward
-Press Space or Enter to pause the game and bring up the pause menu. From inside the pause menu, you can switch weapons, switch camera angles, buy guns, and buy abilities for your penguin (I've been using a computer with Windows Vista and Word 2003...I think, so I don't know if the fonts I used for the pause menu and HUD will shop up for you guys. If they don't, the text may disappear or run off the screen, so heads up.)
-Press 'Q' to repel the zombies, if you've bought the power.
-Hold 'W' to slow down the zombies, but not the penguin, if you've bought the power
-Press 'E' to use a shockwave which kills all zombies (except the big one, it just hurts him) if you've bought it.
-If you see the big one, pump him full of everything you've got, because he's REALLY tough (also, the penguin will automatically aim for him if he can)
-The Shining Lance now has two disadvantages: It's expensive, and one other hidden thing...
-You'll probably need Night Vision by Level 5. It's nearly impossible to see anything if you don't have it (I challenge someone to try and beat it without Night Vision)
-This version's HARD, but beatable. Try different combinations of powers and weapons and see what works for you
-My top score is 207 KOs

If you find any bugs (besdides lagging, because I expect that), tell me.
Attached Files
File Type: a2w ResidentPenguin3.a2w (6.95 MB, 32 views)

(')>

Last edited by x2495iiii; 11-05-2009 at 02:34 AM.

Old
Dameria

Default 10-24-2009, 07:19 PM

Ok, now I finished the game, with a total of exactly 200 kills. This is no doubt the best game I have ever played on Alice. It took me about 10 games to actually beet it, and it was really fun and really addicting. I love the lightning effects and also, a BIG plus for me is that it actually runs faster and with less lag than the version 2.0, while having a lot better effects!! I always got really scared when I faced the big zombies, but I found a cheep way to kill them easily.

Here are the good things about the game (and there are a lot of them):

I tried the MP5 and I really like the laser sight that I asked for! It really helps in finding out where exactly you are aiming, definitely worth the 50k points to get. Also I tried the Swashbuckle, and it is the cheapest gun, but it is also one of the most powerful. The others are good, and worth the money, but you can easily finish the game with just the Swashbuckle and all the power.

That brings me to the upgrades. At first, I only used the PK power because it was cheap and had great affects on multiple zombies coming too close. Then I used the other ones, and they came in handy, and I like almost every aspect of them (except for a few small things that I will get to later.) Altogether though, the upgrades are awesome.

I tried the night vision, and it gets rid of all the fog, and if you get this upgrade in the beginning, it will get rid of all your lag too! The bad thing is with less lag you are more likely to die because things go faster and it is hard to keep up (night vision better for later levels). The PK power is easily my favorite because of its affects, and almost tied with it is the Bullet-Time, which slows things down a lot, letting you think more without the choppy lag (I also love the effect of how the bullets from the pistol fall during bullet time, so cool and realistic!). Also the repel is good because you get 3 per level, but it is kind of hard to reach because you click Q with picky finger which is not as strong and hard to get to during quick-thinking situations (I'm not putting that in the bugs post though, because it is not too bad). And thats about it... Great Game!

Last edited by Dameria; 10-24-2009 at 08:05 PM.

Old
Dameria

Default 10-24-2009, 08:16 PM

Now that all the good things about the game are out of the way, here are some of the bad things / things you should change:

The first thing I noticed as I played the game and got my first upgrade, is that the PK Power is ridiculously low-costing for what it can do. I think this should be worth 75-100k points instead of the 50k it is at now. I can buy it after only 2 levels!

Another thing, and this is a really big one, is the Swashbuckle. It is the cheapest gun in the game (25k), yet it is disputably the most powerful. Capable of hitting multiple targets if the zombies are clustered together, you can easily just sweep through quick-tapping the mouse and kill everything quickly. Also, this is the gun that I use to kill the big zombie. It takes only a second or two of quick clicking to turn the large zombie into dust (literally ). I would either raise the cost of this weapon to 75,000, or make it a little less powerful, or give it less splash damage (smaller target area).

Also, I noticed that you made the pistol more accurate, making it harder to hit a target with it. Since the penguin moves faster now, it is hard to just turn as you quick-shoot with the pistol, because it only targets in on the zombies for a split second (unlike the Swashbuckle). It makes it hard to kill a single zombie, because I am constantly going too too far right, then too far left with the pistol to get it targeted quickly. This is not a major thing though, maybe if you could just give it a little bit more target area.

If I think of something else, I will edit this, but until then, its been a great game and I have thoroughly enjoyed playing it!

Old
x2495iiii
Super Moderator

Default 10-24-2009, 08:38 PM

Thank you very much for your positive input! I made the upgrades cheap because I was trying to let players buy weapons and upgrades, not one or the other. I also made the Swashbuckler powerful because it's the slowest, but I can reduce it's range (and increase the pistol's) easily.

The big question I asked myself was which gun should be the cheapest, since I already knew which two should be the most expensive. I admit, I did most of my difficulty testing while using the Beretta and the MP5, both of which can only hit one target at a time, so the splash weapons may be too overpowered. So which one should be the cheapest?

In any case, thanks for playing and for the suggestions!

(')>

Old
Dameria

Default 10-24-2009, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by x2495iiii View Post
The splash weapons may be too overpowered. So which one should be the cheapest?
I think that as long as you lower the range of the Swashbuckle by a bit and make it a little less powerful (just a little), then you can keep it the same price, maybe 30-50k if you keep the power the same. It is definitely the anti-big-zombie gun for now though.

Wait until other people put in their input, and then you can put in other stuff to change for version 4.0 (although 3.0 is so good, there is really no reason to make a 4.0 other than to add new stuff to the game, which would be awesome ).

Last edited by Dameria; 10-25-2009 at 10:34 AM.

Old
x2495iiii
Super Moderator

Default 10-24-2009, 11:49 PM

Nah, I consider you guys my testers, the people who find the bugs I can't. I've already edited RP3 to address everything you mentioned (I think) plus some other stuff. Here are a few of the changes:

-Big one is slightly faster (if the Swashbuckler was fast enough to get him every time, there's a problem)
-MP5 doesn't recoil as much (the laser sight looks really silly when there's too much recoil)
-Swashbuckler has been SEVERELY nerfed (slower firing, slightly less power, shorter range, and a 30% chance of misfiring, although it's still great at taking out several close enemies and has the highest power)
-Beretta's range has been increased to be more lenient in aiming
-MP5's power has been increased
-Prices of almost everything has gone up
-Bug fixed: camera can't be switched when zombies win
-Bug fixed: Last 3 lines of descriptions no longer disappear if you switch camera angles

I'll wait awhile for people to put in other suggestions before I release the edited version.

(')>

Last edited by x2495iiii; 10-25-2009 at 06:23 PM.

Old
Chris101b

Default 10-25-2009, 04:28 AM

WOW!!! Is all I have to say. This is the first time I have played a game in Alice that was literally addicting. I love games like this where you can upgrade your weapons and abilities. The interface is great, there is no lag... Absolutely phenomenal!!!

I am nowhere and everywhere at the same time.

www.facebook.com/chris101b
Xbox Live GT: Chris101b
Youtube: (You guessed it) www.youtube.com/chris101b

Old
Dameria

Default 10-25-2009, 08:01 AM

Haha, I just got a weird bug. I was killing zombies, and there was only 1 left for me to kill to win the game, but I couldn't turn in time, so I did my PK power, and it killed the zombie, but at the same time that zombie kicked me to the field goal! So now it says You Win! overlapped with Zombies Won. I don't know if there is a need to fix this bug, because it is so rare for this to happen, but just wanted to let you know.

Oh yea, and I also have another suggestion for version 4.0. I don't know if you want to do this because it might make the file larger, causing more lag, but how about if you make it so that when you go to the gun store and click on a gun, it shows you what that gun looks like. This would be awesome if you did this, because then we could see what that gun looks like before we buy it, and maybe even its stats too (although you don't really need to show stats, it says it on the left).
I don't know how you would go about doing this, but I have some ideas:

EDIT: I'm sorry, I had this huge list of how I think you should do what I said above, but I see now you already have pictures of the weapons in the folder DupeWeapons. Just use those pictures and put make it so that when you click the weapon in the Gun shop, it shows that picture underneath the lists of the guns.

I hope you will implement this in your next version. Oh, and if you make a reply to this, can you just post the version 3.0 again in your reply, because this is reaching the bottom of the forum page, and people coming to download this can just download it from the bottom instead of scrolling to the top to look for it. (Or if you want, you can post version 3.1 with the bug fixes!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubastot View Post
I think one change for your controls would be to make the switching weapons keys q and e.
To Dubastot:

I think the weapons are fine as they are now, and the Q and E buttons are really needed for the powers, not the guns. If Q and E were to switch guns, then it would be hard to press the buttons for the powers, which are very useful to win the game. Also, you can change weapons by pressing the space bar to pause, or by just clicking the arrow keys on bottom.

Oh, and x2495iiii I thought of another thing to add. Maybe you could add sounds to the gunshots, like a pistol sound when you fire the pistol, MP5 sound for the MP5 (but make sure its a silenced sound), and so on. Oh, and make sure that you save before importing any sounds, or else an error could come up. If the sound does not import properly, just quit the program without saving and open it up again, or an error will occur whenever you open up the program if you save it. Maybe you could put it in with the loop for the machine gun, so whenever it loops, it will make the sound again, one for each bullet that comes out.

Last edited by Dameria; 10-25-2009 at 10:54 AM.

Old
dubastot

Default 10-25-2009, 08:52 AM

I think one change for your controls would be to make the switching weapons keys q and e.

Old
x2495iiii
Super Moderator

Default 10-25-2009, 06:10 PM

I suppose I could do the pictures thing, but it'll take the addition of several booleans and dummy objects, since I have to check to make sure what pictures need to be resized in what way so that when the game is unpaused, the pictures go back to normal (incedentally, the pictures aren't pitures at all, they're actually models with no shading so the lightning doesn't affect their color scheme).

The simultaneous death/victory bug could be fixed with the addition of a few checks during the kicking method.

By the way, I never explained the stats of the guns:

-Power means damage it does to the one big one, since all guns can kill normal zombies in one shot
-Speed means firing speed, especially autofire
-Range means how lenient the gun is with aiming

I just thought of a cool way to reward players for beating the game, but it may take awhile, so that'll be version 4. In the meantime, here's the bug-fixed version.
Attached Files
File Type: a2w ResidentPenguin3.1.a2w (7.04 MB, 43 views)

(')>

Tags
1 of my favs - from arty, 3.6, amazingly brilliant, angry penguin, awesome, bacon, coffee, eggs, epic win, food, game, games, magic beans, model, models, out dated, penguin, resident, shooter, theuperduper youtube, this is awesome isn't it, weapon, weapons, x2495jjjj