Alice Community  

Go Back   Alice Community > Alice 2 > Share Objects

Old
meirs

Default 03-08-2010, 09:09 AM

Jediaction,
First, your game is very sophisticated and impressive!

The slowness has nothing to do with frame rate, which is something you cannot set in Alice anyway.

Far as I can tell, there are few things you can do to improve the game performance:

* You have many event handlers in the events area, of which some are ran every processing cycle to assert their condition. For example, an event checking the condition that a bullet is in a certain distance from a target should be avoided, since it only applies when you shoot the bullet! You have number of events handling bullets that way, and you should replace those with normal program logic (within methods).

* Also, in the events area, you have many 'while' events that are better handled in methods, from the same above considerations.

* You have tens of background static objects which should be merged into one scene object. Put all the trees, hills and lake (which contains many static objects of its own), dots, etc - that means anything not being moved, turned or with any 3D scene meaning - into one static scene object.

* Likewise, the program contains many dummy objects, which I suspect you've used only for editing the scene. You should delete any such unused objects. You will have a simple indication for objects being redundant: if that object is referenced from the application code, then when trying to delete it you'll get a "remove reference" warning.

The first two notes affect directly running time performance while the latter have mainly memory consumption implications.

Mama is an Alice On Steroids with YouTube uploader, 3d object creator, tutorial editor, and standalone support:
http://www.eytam.com/mama

Last edited by meirs; 03-08-2010 at 09:12 AM.

Old
jediaction

Default 03-08-2010, 09:48 AM

I tried deleting many objects and i use all the dummys. Its a lot but i use all of them. What do you mean make all objects one? Oh and you said its sophisticated? Is that a good thing or a bad thing?

FaceBook: www.facebook.com/SalokinGames

Old
meirs

Default 03-08-2010, 02:23 PM

Sophisticated means a very good thing, and to my opinion your contest opponents should start worry..

I saw unreferenced dummy objects - what are they for? why you need to keep them?

About scene object - see as an example the gallery oceanFloor (under folder Ocean) or the Garden (under Nature) - it gives you a whole 3D background, it may contain water or sand with topography, trees, etc. The scene/background object may have subparts but much of it is a picture, thus consuming less memory and less processing time in Alice.
When building a scene/background object (using any 3D creation application) for your game, the only reason I see to have subpart of the scene as an object is to reference it specifically from the program code, otherwise it should be part of the background 3D object texture.

Mama is an Alice On Steroids with YouTube uploader, 3d object creator, tutorial editor, and standalone support:
http://www.eytam.com/mama

Old
zonedabone

Default 03-09-2010, 12:29 PM

About speed, there's a good way to trick Alice's 3D renderer. Just have objects behind the camera be invisible! Simple!

'Apple Macintosh' - An anagram of 'Complaints Heap'

M.A.C.I.N.T.O.S.H. - Machine Always Crashes, If Not, The Operating System Hangs.

You're *such* a mac person.