Alice Community  

Go Back   Alice Community > Alice 2 > How do I...?

proximity problems
Old
x08

Default proximity problems - 09-06-2011, 04:16 PM

Dear All,

Am working on an assignment for uni, so please do not give a super-direct answer - but please offer some advice if you can.

Have a model, player controlled and a tree. I need to make the model not able to pass through the tree.

I currently have >>

if ((tree.isInFrontOf(model) && (tree.distanceToFrontOf(model) < 2)) && ((tree.distanceToLeftOf(model) < 0.5) || (tree.distanceToRightOf(model) < 0.5))
{
model.say(debug line);
}
else
{
model.move(forward, 0.5);
}

*ADDED* the distanceToLeft/Right were added to add in a minimum proximity radius to the tree when passing it.

But for some reason this is not working correctly at all. I've tried switching model and tree in the if statement. I've tried playing with the parameters, and also tried a simple kangaroo.distanceTo(tree)..... none of them are detecting the way I would expect. The tree is about twice the height of the kangaroo.

I also have the same issue with a goal object. It's not correctly detecting the distanceTo player and NPC.

Is this a bug in 2.0, or am I doing something seriously wrong? Help, please.

Old
GameKid

Default 09-13-2011, 11:25 PM

That is quite strange.
Maybe you added the code in the wrong place. Try putting that code in an if/else statement in the movement method, and put the movement variables in the else section.
I hope this helps.