Alice Community  

Go Back   Alice Community > Educators > Teaching with Alice

Old
gabe
Administrator

Default 06-21-2010, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by x2495iiii View Post
Guess RP is out then. Whoop-de-LAME-hoo...

Guess you should get wong's Panda game though. Probably the most intensive "non-violent" game on the boards and the likely winner of the forum contest, given its the only submission thus far...

Bah.
They have already seen RP. But again, they don't like violence in Alice worlds. And if they don't like violence, I'm not going to forward them project that will upset them. How many teachers do you know of that like shooting violence in their students' worlds?

Old
x2495iiii
Super Moderator

Default 06-21-2010, 10:13 AM

I suppose it depends on the teacher. Most teachers I know would appreciate effort and creativity in most of its forms (with extreme exceptions, of course). For example, one teacher I know asked her students to make a replica of a building related to France. Most built Eiffel Towers of varying degrees of detail, but one made a re-enactment of a battle, complete with tanks and multilevel terrain. She loved it. Also, when my AP English teacher asked us to present a poem using any media we liked, I chose Longfellow's "Song of Hiawatha" and wrote an Alice world based on an action scene between the protagonist and some fire serpents. She, too, loved it.

I understand it's a preference to discourage fighting and shooting and other forms of serious conflict, considering Alice was intended to include young users, but I also believe that the exclusion of all such conflicts is limiting the possibilities of Alice.

(')>

Old
gabe
Administrator

Default 06-21-2010, 10:20 AM

Good points. However, most of what I've seen on the boards do not fall under historical battle reenactments or visual poetry. They tend to be shooting things for the sake of entertainment. Which is a perfectly fine thing. Just not to the taste of my higher-ups. To each his own.

Old
x2495iiii
Super Moderator

Default 06-21-2010, 11:15 AM

Guess my point is that labeling it under one disdained umbrella term, "violence", isn't really accurate or fair.

(')>

Old
gabe
Administrator

Default 06-21-2010, 12:02 PM

I don't understand why you are so defensive over this. The Alice teaching faculty here at CMU don't like violence in Alice worlds. Are there exceptions? Of course. But if they tell me they don't want me showing them stuff of this nature, it's probably in my best interest to be a little careful about what I forward on to them. If you feel that violence is too broad a statement, you are welcome to break it down into sub genres.

There are things I love which friends of mine do not. I would rather spend my time embracing things that we like together than convincing them that they are mistaken or finding exceptions to the rule.

I personally think it is great that people are sharing their Alice work with the world, regardless of subject matter. The Alice community is diverse and continually growing. I hope the worlds that people continue to build also reflect that diversity, whether they use guns or farts or chickens.

Old
x2495iiii
Super Moderator

Default 06-21-2010, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabe View Post
I don't understand why you are so defensive over this. The Alice teaching faculty here at CMU don't like violence in Alice worlds. Are there exceptions? Of course. But if they tell me they don't want me showing them stuff of this nature, it's probably in my best interest to be a little careful about what I forward on to them. If you feel that violence is too broad a statement, you are welcome to break it down into sub genres.
Defensive? Probably because thus far I've been put down by nearly every teacher or otherwise non-student on the forums who doesn't know me personally for being "too violent." My goal wasn't even to promote "violence," it was to demonstrate the potential of Alice for game creation and expand the object library accordingly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabe View Post
I personally think it is great that people are sharing their Alice work with the world, regardless of subject matter. The Alice community is diverse and continually growing. I hope the worlds that people continue to build also reflect that diversity, whether they use guns or farts or chickens.
Well said.

(')>