Alice Community  

Go Back   Alice Community > General Discussion > Questions and Comments

Assignment 4
Old
lexihammonds13

Default Assignment 4 - 07-21-2015, 01:01 AM

So for assignment 4 I had to write a textual storyboard and then create it on Alice. I don't know whether I got lucky or am actually starting to understand Alice because this assignment went a lot quicker than the previous ones. I had one of my characters walk and jump without much trouble and am getting better with creating methods. Alice is all about trial and error and figuring out which movements correspond with certain actions.

Old
MrMoke

Default 07-21-2015, 08:52 AM

Good Job-
Storyboarding has been a valuable tool in the animation industry for a long time. Creating a plan before you start the construction of a building is always a good idea.
Another valuable tool for programmers is called "Flowcharting". The basic flowcharting techniques have been in play for almost 100 years. The referenced Wikipedia page https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flowchart references the history of this tool. On the Wiki page you will notice a picture of a Template used to help programmers draw the symbols for a flowchart. I'm viewing my old template, and it's case, as I type.

The idea behind a flowchart: If you master the logic behind the process, you minimize the coding errors.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Flowchart-template.jpg (19.3 KB, 9 views)

Old
CodeMan

Default 07-21-2015, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lexihammonds13 View Post
So for assignment 4 I had to write a textual storyboard and then create it on Alice. I don't know whether I got lucky or am actually starting to understand Alice because this assignment went a lot quicker than the previous ones. I had one of my characters walk and jump without much trouble and am getting better with creating methods. Alice is all about trial and error and figuring out which movements correspond with certain actions.
Trail and Error can work, however understanding the concept that each object has a center point (axes) and is orientated around that, and that each movement will move around that axes in a specific way can make things alot easier when animating stuff.

Im really RavenOfCode... shhhh....

Currently work on my first app :)

Old
Ylu

Default 07-21-2015, 06:11 PM

Yeah, trial and error is where it is at. I just wish that there was quicker way to get through T&E. Glad it all came together for you.

Last edited by Ylu; 07-22-2015 at 08:31 PM.

Old
Petit Suisse

Default 07-23-2015, 10:23 AM

Same for me. Especially with turn/roll when it comes to what's now left, backwards, forwards, etc... Today I asked an object to face another object and it still looked the opposite way. I'm sure there is more logic to it, but for now, trying does it.

Nice to hear this assignment was easier for you. Neat!

Assignment 4
Old
btolor

Question Assignment 4 - 02-18-2016, 03:02 AM

I also just finished the same assignment and I agree with you. Maybe I got lucky. For the most part, making my character sing, walk, jump, and talk were was simply trail and error then success. I did run hit a wall with the random numbers. I couldn't figure out how to make my character to down and land the exact random number as jumped up. I still don't fully understand parameters and variables yet. But learning to create methods for certain task, really helped me keep my code more organized an easier to manage.