Alice Community  

Go Back   Alice Community > Alice 2 > Bugs and Troubleshooting

Not able to open files (Mac)
Old
GeekyLex

Question Not able to open files (Mac) - 12-01-2020, 11:34 AM

I'm having an issue on my Mac with both Catalina and Big Sur releases.

"File - Open World" is blank.

Tried changing File Format to all files and it still "sees" nothing.

Same for "Make Billboard"

I can open files directly if I double-click them from wherever they live on my computer, but can't search/open from within the app.

Can't seem to find a workaround for the Billboard issue though.

Always learning.

Old
djslater107
Administrator

Default 12-01-2020, 03:52 PM

Thank you... This is a known bug in Alice 2 which we are trying to address...

One workaround that seems to work for me, if you are comfortable using the Terminal on your Mac is to type in the following at your prompt:

/Applications/Alice\ 2.5.app/Contents/MacOS/JavaAppLauncher ;

This is the path to where Alice 2 is located on my computer. (Alice 2.5 is located in the Applications folder.) You may have to modify it for your own setup. You may be able to paste that line directly into the Terminal and press the Return key.

Also, in System Settings: Security & Privacy: Full Disk Access I added Alice 2 to the list. (I cannot remember if I did this before I found the Terminal command) and I am not sure that it is necessary, but it has not hurt me.

When you try to open a file through Open File, it may take a bit of time for the file open window to populate the folders and files, but they eventually show up.

I will be curious as to whether this works for you (BTW, I do not have Big Sur installed yet, but I am running Catalina). Let me know if you have any questions.

Don Slater
Alice Project

don@alice.org

Don Slater
Alice Team
Carnegie Mellon University

Old
GeekyLex

Default 12-03-2020, 12:28 PM

Hi Don -
Thanks for the reply.

I first gave Full Disk Access before using the terminal command and it did not change the outcome.

After running the terminal command to open Alice, I got the popups asking to grant access to Documents and Downloads and so now they appear checked off in Security & Privacy - Files and Folders but the command still has to be run each time I want to open Alice and see any files listed.

Code:
2020-12-03 13:22:57.675 JavaAppLauncher[49029:4702609] WARNING: NSWindow drag regions should only be invalidated on the Main Thread! This will throw an exception in the future. Called from (
	0   AppKit                              0x00007fff22c6c99c -[NSWindow(NSWindow_Theme) _postWindowNeedsToResetDragMarginsUnlessPostingDisabled] + 352
	1   AppKit                              0x00007fff22c576d5 -[NSWindow _initContent:styleMask:backing:defer:contentView:] + 1375
	2   AppKit                              0x00007fff22c5716f -[NSWindow initWithContentRect:styleMask:backing:defer:] + 42
	3   libnativewindow_macosx.jnilib       0x000000015aefb3fe Java_jogamp_nativewindow_macosx_OSXUtil_CreateNSWindow0 + 398
	4   ???                                 0x000000011307a9f4 0x0 + 4614236660
)
Quote:
Originally Posted by djslater107 View Post
Thank you... This is a known bug in Alice 2 which we are trying to address...

One workaround that seems to work for me, if you are comfortable using the Terminal on your Mac is to type in the following at your prompt:

/Applications/Alice\ 2.5.app/Contents/MacOS/JavaAppLauncher ;

Always learning.

Alice 2 on Catalina and Big Sur
Old
djslater107
Administrator

Default Alice 2 on Catalina and Big Sur - 12-03-2020, 02:15 PM

Yes, I have to run that command every time as well... Like you I thought granting those permissions would solve the problem, but unfortunately, not. That is the issue we are working on...

Alice 2 does not use the OS file access system, but a hybrid of Java and Python. We have to rewire Alice 2 to the Mac file access system.

Sorry.

Don Slater
Alice Team

Alice 2 on Catalina and Big Sur
Old
GeekyLex

Talking Alice 2 on Catalina and Big Sur - 12-03-2020, 04:42 PM

No worries. Glad to have a workaround!

Always learning.

Old
AmandaBingham

Default 09-13-2023, 07:45 AM

Any update on this bug?
Edit: all good. Thank you

Last edited by AmandaBingham; 10-17-2023 at 04:57 AM.

Old
djslater107
Administrator

Default 09-14-2023, 06:32 AM

The latest release should have taken care of this problem. Let us know if that is not the case.

Don Slater
Alice Team

Tags
billboard, mac, open file