Alice Community  

Go Back   Alice Community > Alice 2 > Bugs and Troubleshooting

Which OS Works Best for Alice?
Old
blackturtle.us

Default Which OS Works Best for Alice? - 12-28-2008, 01:00 PM

I recently started experimenting with Alice and have tried it on Windows Vista, Mac OSX, and Ubuntu Linux. My experience with Alice on Windows Vista and Ubuntu Linux has been less than satisfying. There's lots of buggy behavior on both platforms and one of the tutorials even freezes and forces me to restart on Ubuntu. None of this happens with Mac OSX, for me at least. I'm wondering if my experience is representative of that of most people or if I perhaps have some hardware configurations that are most likely the root of the problem. BTW, later this week I plan to try Alice with Suse and Fedora. Is there any chance that Alice will work with Solaris?

Last edited by blackturtle.us; 12-28-2008 at 01:00 PM. Reason: typo

Old
x2495iiii
Super Moderator

Default 12-28-2008, 01:42 PM

In my experience, Alice works generally best with Windows (though I'm betting every Mac user on Earth will yell and scream that it doesn't). However, I'm sure that each version has its pros and cons, and I know for a fact that ALL versions of Alice have bugs in them. Especially the Linux one.

Verdict: (in order from best to worst) Windows, Mac, Linux.

(')>

Old
RobMikeMom

Smile 12-28-2008, 01:45 PM

My boys and I have been using Alice on 3 different computers running Windows Vista and we have not had your problems. We have been able to run all of the tutorials and examples without freezing. The only problem I have noticed is if I switch to one of the Office applications and then back to Alice, the preview screen turns black and I have to restart Alice to get it to come back.

HTH!

Old
DrJim

Default 12-29-2008, 12:10 PM

I personally use Alice 2.0 on two Windows XP and a Vista (32-bit version) machine and find that the XP machines are much more consistant - though I haven't had any major problems with Vista.

The biggest problem I've had is on XP machines with relatively small memory - a lot of larger worlds won't run smoothly (or sometimes even at all) - and the "memory leak" problem in Java can leak over into other Java programs (the main reason I stopped running Open Office).

There is one Mac problem with Alice 2.0 that I am aware of - the objects axis don't seem to show up. That is supposedly fixed in Alice 2.2b (not sure - don't have a Mac) - but in the Mac version of 2.2b, opacity doesn't work.

I've never heard of anyone having really good success with a Linux variant, though I know people are using it. I'd do a forum search for the various variants you are working with - that seems to be one key issue. Solaris would be interesting but I doubt that it will happen (might be - apparently there is at least some partnership with Sun on Alice 3.0).

I don't know about the 64-bit versions of Vista. There were some problems reported - don't remember seeing that they were resolved. It would seem, however, that just running in XP compatibility mode would fix the problem - but haven't tried since I don't have the 64-bit version.

Old
RobMikeMom

Smile 12-29-2008, 02:55 PM

Oh, and my version of Vista is the 64-bit, and Alice is running fine.

Old
DrJim

Default 12-30-2008, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobMikeMom View Post
Oh, and my version of Vista is the 64-bit, and Alice is running fine.
Do you run it in a backward compatibilty mode?

Old
DickBaldwin

Default 12-31-2008, 12:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobMikeMom View Post
My boys and I have been using Alice on 3 different computers running Windows Vista and we have not had your problems. We have been able to run all of the tutorials and examples without freezing. The only problem I have noticed is if I switch to one of the Office applications and then back to Alice, the preview screen turns black and I have to restart Alice to get it to come back.

HTH!
When I run on Windows Vista Premium Home Edition, the text in the various lists and menus often gets messed up when I scroll up and down. I can usually get it straightened out again by minimizing and then restoring the IDE.

Dick Baldwin

Old
RobMikeMom

Smile 12-31-2008, 01:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrJim View Post
Do you run it in a backward compatibilty mode?
No, I don't. I just double-click the .EXE with no special compatibility settings.

Old
RobMikeMom

Smile 12-31-2008, 01:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DickBaldwin View Post
When I run on Windows Vista Premium Home Edition, the text in the various lists and menus often gets messed up when I scroll up and down. I can usually get it straightened out again by minimizing and then restoring the IDE.

Dick Baldwin
Interesting... I don't get that behavior. But the next time that I see the black preview window, I will try doing the minimizing/restoring and see if that works. Thanks!