Alice Community  

Go Back   Alice Community > General Discussion > Questions and Comments

Slow Motion Effect
Old
EmosaurusRex

Default Slow Motion Effect - 11-14-2008, 09:55 AM

Hi, could anyone give me any suggestions on how to "slow this scene down"? I realize that Alice has no real slow mo effect, and I was wondering if anyone could give any suggestions as how to make it appear as though things are slower?

As you can see from the attachment the progression of the scene is far too fast, but by just slowing down the duration of things it doesn't appear to be in slow motion, it appears just as though things generally go that slow and it's still in real time.

Thanks for any suggestions
Attached Files
File Type: a2w west.a2w (2.16 MB, 80 views)

SpeedMultiplier
Old
DrJim

Default SpeedMultiplier - 11-22-2008, 06:01 PM

There is actually a world SpeedMultiplier (under "seldom used properties") which gives a true slow motion, i.e., an action of one second takes four real time seconds to display if the parameter value is set to 0.25.

You can drag it into a method and it can be varied during runtime. However, like all parameters, it returns to the default value after the method has run.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SpeedMult.jpg (48.1 KB, 93 views)

Old
EmosaurusRex

Default 11-25-2008, 09:13 AM

oh wow, thanks Dr. Jim. I had ended up using a wait just to slow down the scene but this works a lot better.

Old
DrJim

Default 11-26-2008, 07:05 PM

One other thing to play with is the duration of the command to change the value of the SpeedMultiplier if you have multiple methods running . This frequently doesn't work the way you want - but can be fun.

Caution
Old
DrJim

Exclamation Caution - 11-27-2008, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrJim View Post
... frequently doesn't work the way you want - but can be fun.
I may have understated a bit in the above. Changing the speed multiplier with other than zero duration commands is actually fairly tricky as I redescovered this morning - though the results also can be very nice.

The basic issue is that synchronizing between multiple methods running at the same time can be fairly tricky - with Alice or anything - and adding a non-zero duration to a command, especially for the basic timing parameter, makes it even harder.

One basic principle is to keep the speedup related parameters in a completely separate method. That way, the timing within that method is well controlled.

Attached is an example I finally got to work to my satisfaction. After you start the program, hit <Enter> to enter speedup parameters the first time and then <Spacebar> to stop the rotation and <Enter> again to try another parameter set. (If you just hit <Enter> for the second set, without stopping first, the results are still somewhat unpredictable - an example of a typical problem with this approach.)

If the effect looks interesting to you, it may be worth playing with - so have fun but don't use it for a problem that has a tight deadline.
Attached Files
File Type: a2w SpeedMultiplier Example.a2w (390.9 KB, 54 views)

Old
EmosaurusRex

Default 12-02-2008, 09:20 AM

Wow, thanks so much. Works like a dream!