Alice Community  

Go Back   Alice Community > Alice 2 > How do I...?

moving to set poses
Old
blaklite

Default moving to set poses - 04-30-2009, 02:46 PM

im not too sure how the 'pose' methods work here.
i assumed that i would be able to capture a pose and make my object return to that position when using the pose methods, but when i tried this it didn't work.
am i doing something wrong?
if not, how can i return something to its original position after moving it about the world freely.

Last edited by blaklite; 04-30-2009 at 02:57 PM. Reason: wrong word

Old
pingu

Smile 05-03-2009, 12:48 PM

yeah, it's not terribly good. you have to set your character into that pose, then set the pose, then move your character back to the position you want it to start in. or, manually figure out the rotations of the parts to return it back to normal. hope that helps...
pingu

Old
DrJim

Default 05-03-2009, 01:46 PM

As defined in Alice, a "pose" just sets the relative positions of all of the subobjects in an object hierarchy. You have to use move, orient or "set point of view" to actually change an object's position in the world.

This is good and bad. Bad in that it's confusing, but good in that Alice will smoothly shift from one pose to another during the duration time specified in the command. A combination of set pose and set POV commands in a "do together" block can be very powerful - see the "hebuilder" and "shebuilder" methods.

Old
blaklite

Default 05-04-2009, 03:08 PM

i had a look at the hebuilder functions, but i don't think i quite understand... i don't see anything different in what those commands are doing...
i have an object that spins and flips an unpredictable amount and lands in a weird position.
i would like to have it spin its unpredictable amount and then land in its original position.

=/

Old
DrJim

Default 05-04-2009, 07:42 PM

You are certainly correct that the basic methods and functions are standard. You need to look at the object specific methods, such as walk. For something useful, you generally have to use a series ofbasic commands - for example wait till the spin stops and then use set pose and set POV with zero durations.