Alice Community  

Go Back   Alice Community > Educators > Teaching with Alice

Using Alice in middle school
Old
WLMGT

Default Using Alice in middle school - 09-18-2006, 04:47 PM

If anyone has instructional materials, links, etc. to materials for teaching Alice in middle school, I would love to hear from you.
Thanks.
GT

Old
lanceA

Default 09-18-2006, 05:55 PM

Begin here for instructor materials:
www.aliceprogramming.net

Most of the material is password protected so you will either need to contact Prentice-Hall or one of the textbook author's.

Old
WLMGT

Default 09-18-2006, 07:20 PM

Thanks, I did that. I was just wondering if someone had already modified any of those materials for middle school/high school use.
Thanks

Old
lanceA

Default 09-18-2006, 07:50 PM

I don't specifically know of a middle school that is using the materials, but I do know numerous high schools are using the material. How many are using the material as-is versus having modified it, I do not know.

Good luck.

Resources from Georgia Tech
Old
Jane Krauss

Default Resources from Georgia Tech - 09-25-2006, 12:41 PM

The Institute for Computing Education (ICE) at Georgia Tech offers summer camps where middle school youth learn programming in Scratch and Alice. The ICE Web site has slide sets and teaching guides to will help you get started. See: Summer Camps for Middle School Students 2006: http://coweb.cc.gatech.edu/ice-gt/447

Teaching with Aiice in the Middle School
Old
LollyB13

Red face Teaching with Aiice in the Middle School - 10-20-2006, 01:01 PM

This is so much fun! I am teaching en elective to grade 6-8. I think it's fun because we have no prssure of grades. I am using this trimester as a curriculum building time. We used the tutorials, students decided what they wanted to learn first, we went through some basics and after each class the next skill set emerges.

Right now the students are doing peer-created assignments. I promised htme we would try to publish their work. I have yet to find a resource that truly suits this age group!

Old
lanceA

Default 10-26-2006, 06:30 PM

Joel Adams has a great book out on ALICE for lower school students. He spent the previous summer at Carnegie Mellon working with the Alice group.

Last edited by lanceA; 10-26-2006 at 06:32 PM.

Old
lanceA

Default 11-22-2006, 04:53 PM

They've just published the Alice 2.0 Introductory Concepts and Techniques book. I have a copy and I would recommend it for middle school.

question regarding OS
Old
julian

Default question regarding OS - 11-29-2006, 08:38 AM

thanks for posting the info regarding the new book.
We are a Mac environment and I noticed all the supplementary downloads were .exe files and not accessible for Macs, are these essential?

Mac are a love hate relationship..
Old
Link

Default Mac are a love hate relationship.. - 11-29-2006, 08:59 AM

My first computer was a mac.. But I myself and a gamer.. so I love macs.. but some times I can't stand them.. Uhhh as for the topic of middle school. I thought a prospective from a student might help you. Note: i'm in high school, but I was once a middle schooler. I personally would have loved to have this class in middle school!! However, I'm not sure many middle school students would agree with me. The intrest in computers and programing seem to mainly start somewhere in between middle and high school. Also.. If you do get an alice program up for middle school.. you have to have more challanging classes in programing waiting for high school. Perhaps something in Java script or C++.. maybe none object oriented programing?