Alice Community  

Go Back   Alice Community > Alice 2 > Bugs and Troubleshooting

Change Default Directories
Old
Isambard

Default Change Default Directories - 03-23-2011, 11:01 AM

Hi guys,

We've been asked by a teacher to put Alice on one of our computer suites and running into problems with the applications default directories, specifically the 'save and load from:' and 'directory capture to:'.

They are currently point to areas which students don't have access and would much rather have these preferences point to folders in each student's own areas.

Thanks,

Isambard.

Old
David B

Default 03-23-2011, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isambard View Post
Hi guys,

We've been asked by a teacher to put Alice on one of our computer suites and running into problems with the applications default directories, specifically the 'save and load from:' and 'directory capture to:'.

They are currently point to areas which students don't have access and would much rather have these preferences point to folders in each student's own areas.

Thanks,

Isambard.
I am not quite sure how this can be done, but Alice is open source, so I will review Alice's source files to see what can be done.

P.S.: This is totally off topic, but it is haling where I live, and I am sitting outside of my garage watching my driveway get covered in hail. It actually looks kind of cool! There is soooooooooooooooooooooooo many hail balls that my driveway is totally white!

Old
debussybunny563

Arrow 03-23-2011, 06:05 PM

Refer here: http://www.alice.org/community/showthread.php?t=6163 (third post)

Last edited by debussybunny563; 12-21-2012 at 12:00 AM.

|--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
|Link to weapons collection: http://www.alice.org/community/showthread.php?t=7368 |
|--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

I have been dead for quite some time now; not much hope for resurrection.

Old
aikmin

Default 03-29-2011, 05:24 AM

http://www.alice.org/index.php?page=...nload_alice2.2

Using Alice on a networked machine:

Alice 2.0 compatibility with networked machines has been hit-or-miss. This was due to the Alice preferences file location being hard-coded as:

C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\.alice

In cases where the user's home directory was not on the C drive or in a different path, Alice would throw up a gallery viewer error and possibly prevent the user from accessing Alice.

We have modified Alice 2.2 to allow the user to enter in the path to a writable directory on any drive, networked or local. This can be done by opening up the following file in a text editor:

Alice 2.2\Required\etc\version.txt

It should look like this:

2.2 9/1/2008
0x7F8AD1

Add a new line at the bottom and enter in the *full* path to where you would like the preferences stored. This will need to be a writable directory. Do not use quotes. For example, if I wanted to change the location to my desktop on drive E, I would do the following:

2.2 9/1/2008
0x7F8AD1
E:\Documents and Settings\jtimberlake\Desktop\.alice2

Save the file and close it. If Alice is running, make sure to shut it down and restart. To confirm it is working, navigate to the directory you typed above and you should see a .alice2 directory. If you do not see one, make sure hidden directories are viewable.