Alice Community  

Go Back   Alice Community > Alice 3 > How Do I?

Old
meirs

Default 01-23-2010, 04:40 AM

Regarding the import problems, as I said, I will give it a more careful look and try to find a solution.

Regarding the install problems - the installer really does nothing but copying files to the default folder (Program Files) or to any user selected folder, then setting some basic registry keys (mainly, to be able to run .mam files with double click).
It does sound like a security problem, are other software installations work fine for you? can you simply write a file under "Program Files"?

Old
x2495iiii
Super Moderator

Default 01-23-2010, 05:12 AM

Surprisingly, yes. I've never had any problems with any other installers before now, and I don't recall putting any special restrictions (or ever running into such restrictions) on my Program Files folder.

(')>

Old
x2495iiii
Super Moderator

Default 01-23-2010, 05:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lanceA View Post
I believe your fantastic efforts deserve that the Room open a new thread so we can help you 'tweak' a fantastic product. However, it would be very helpful if the x2495iiii, blah, blah'-person making models of guns and stuff that KILL could be encouraged to redirect HIS energy to more positive ideas.

I want to use this with my students, and can't go the violence route.

So far, only 16 people will not wake up tomorrow in my city, . . . but it is still early.

And thank God only 4 of them were below the age of 12!.

Fantastic work !!
Based on this post, I've gathered two observations.

First, you don't have any respect for me, my work, or even my username. Ironic that my name is based off of a kid's-movie robot, whereas yours means "spear" in Latin. Who's the violent one?

Second, this kind of mid-paragraph topic shift would only be done by someone with a mental disorder. I'll be sure to be more sensitive to your special needs in the future.

(')>

Last edited by x2495iiii; 02-02-2010 at 09:16 PM.

Old
lanceA

Default 01-23-2010, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meirs View Post
Regarding the import problems, as I said, I will give it a more careful look and try to find a solution.

Regarding the install problems - the installer really does nothing but copying files to the default folder (Program Files) or to any user selected folder, then setting some basic registry keys (mainly, to be able to run .mam files with double click).
It does sound like a security problem, are other software installations work fine for you? can you simply write a file under "Program Files"?
meirs
I just tried importing an Alice 2.0 file which uses Events into Moma and it works fine (this is on a Win 7 machine). I have not imported an Alice 2.2. world yet. I used the English version when importing.

I did notice a strange occurance though. . . . the application I imported begins with a 3D text screen. After the program loads, but before I play the imported program, the 3D text appears in "mirror image" in the World Viewer window. However when I play the application it displays normally and the up-arrow, down-arrow, etc. keys work fine.

Definitely not a major problem, just wanted to share it. Also, I used the English version when importing the Alice 2.0 world with Events.

G-R-E-A-T transformation of Alice!

Last edited by lanceA; 01-23-2010 at 08:17 PM.

Old
lanceA

Default 01-23-2010, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by x2495iiii View Post
Based on this post, I've gathered two observations.

First, you don't have any respect for me, my work, or even my username. Ironic that my name is based off of a kid's-movie robot, wheres yours means "spear" in Latin. Who's the violent one?

Second, this kind of mid-paragraph topic shift would only be done by someone with a mental disorder. I'll be sure to be more sensitive to your special needs in the future.
I apologize if I offended you. But there are more important issues out there then killing things. . . .

Old
meirs

Default 01-24-2010, 04:07 AM

lanceA and x2495iiii,

Thanks again for your important feedback.
I tried importing several samples, with 3D text, with both "say" bubbles and "think" bubbles, and it worked fine for me (also importing into Hebrew version!). Could you please send me the world files that caused those errors? My email is my user name at eytam.com.

BTW, you deserve free licenses for you copies please send me your registration URL - you'll find it at "Help"/"Purchase License" - and I'll be able to make it registered.

Last edited by meirs; 01-24-2010 at 04:12 AM.

Old
x2495iiii
Super Moderator

Default 01-24-2010, 07:31 AM

Thank you very much, meirs!

As for the worlds I tried to import, they can be found and downloaded in this post.

http://www.alice.org/community/showthread.php?t=3205

I tried importing Resident Penguin 1, 3.1, and 3.5. None of them have any speech bubbles or thought bubbles, but all three are somewhat complex. RP1 imported, but the controls didn't work properly. The other two threw an error message halfway through loading.

Please tell me if they import for you so I know if the issue is with my computer.

Thanks again!

(')>

Old
meirs

Default 01-24-2010, 02:24 PM

x2495iiii,
I found the transformation bug that caused RP2 and higher to fail, I will put the fix in the very next version. The other problem, where the gun sometimes doesn't shoot when you press the mouse, exists for me with RP1 and RP2 in Alice 2.2 too. But with the fixed version version 3.5 works perfectly. Great game!
BTW, as you probably noticed, Mama supports directly scenes, so the camera dummies you set where translated into scenes. That is a very convenient for creating multi-level games.
When you send me email, I will reply and attach the translated RP3.5

regards,
Meir

Old
lanceA

Default 01-25-2010, 09:17 PM

Let me know if you have problems with the two ALICE 2.0 worlds that I sent you, meirs.

Translation to German?
Old
martina-r

Lightbulb Translation to German? - 01-26-2010, 03:52 AM

Hi,
I have been working with young students (10-14 years old), programming with Alice2.2 and struggling with the language.
Please let me know, when a German version is available (or if you need help with the translation).
I translated a part of an online tutorial (by Richard Baldwin; waiting for his permission to publish the text) and a German version of the program would be perfect

Please contact me :
office: mro (at) informatik.uni-bremen.de
private: martina (at) rosenboom.de

Martina