Alice Community  

Go Back   Alice Community > General Discussion > Questions and Comments

Google Sketchup6
Old
II SK8BUM II

Default Google Sketchup6 - 04-07-2008, 07:17 AM

is there a way i can get models off of google sketchup 6 and get them into the alice program? is there a certain file extension i need??

Old
DrJim

Default 04-07-2008, 12:48 PM

Do a search of the forum on Sketchup for some of the basic information.

If you have the pro version of Sketchup, it's pretty easy to get to the right file type (.ase) to import into Alice. If not, it's fairly complicated - basically you need to do the following:
save out of Sketchup as a .kmz file
convert the .kmz file to an .obj file using Blender
(there may be options here, such as going to a .3ds file - but I've had
trouble with that and the next step - since .3ds files are binary files)
manually edit the .obj file (which is just a text file) to eliminate any periods
in any file names (Alice will reject them)
use Biturn to convert the .obj file to .ase format
import to Alice.

Frankly, IMO the above is not worth the effort - you would be better starting with Anim8or or Wings 3D - or maybe just forgetting about Alice completely and staying in Sketchup. With all of the above conversions - the only path I've been able to consistantly get to work - you end up with surfaces that are "one sided" which, unless you have completely closed objects, can end up as very strange shapes.

It would seem there must be an easier approach - if anyone has that information (and has made the approach work) - please post it (but please don't just tell me about some script for some program that you've heard somebody else say they heard worked).

Note (violating my own request): I've heard you can import .kmz files into Photoship CS Extended - but haven't personally tried that. You could then manipulate the images there and bring them into Alice as billboards.

Last edited by DrJim; 04-07-2008 at 12:52 PM. Reason: Added Photoship note

A (possibly) better way to search the Alice forums.
Old
DickBaldwin

Default A (possibly) better way to search the Alice forums. - 04-07-2008, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrJim View Post
Do a search of the forum on Sketchup for some of the basic information.
My experience has been that using Google to search the forums is often more effective than using the search feature at top of the page, but I'm sure that there is a place for both. For some reason, I rarely seem to be able to find postings that I know exist using the forum SEARCH feature.

To use Google to search the Alice forums, enter the following in the Google search box:

keyword or words site:www.alice.org

All of the normal rules for doing a Google search apply. The last part containing the colon is especially important because it will confine the search to the Alice website.

Dick Baldwin
Free Alice tutorials: http://www.dickbaldwin.com/tocalice.htm
Free programming tutorials: http://www.dickbaldwin.com/toc.htm

Search approach - ASCII model edits
Old
DrJim

Default Search approach - ASCII model edits - 04-07-2008, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DickBaldwin View Post
using Google to search the forums is often more effective than using the search feature at top of the page
I definitely agree - I should have said search the forum "... using Google".

One more note on my original posting. It may be a better idea to use Blender to produce a .3ds model and then do the check for illegal names as the last step before going into Alice. This can be done since the .ase model has a text format - and it has two advantages:

(1) It has been my experience that .3ds format models and conversions are somewhat more trouble free than having to keep track of the set of files (.obj and .mtl plus textures) needed with the .obj format. (This is not always the case, however.)

(2) What will always be true this way is that you will be checking for the problem periods (and correcting as needed) after the very last step of the conversion chain. Names using the period convention, i.e. "sam.lowerbody.leg.mesh1" are quite common in a lot of tools - but will cause an error (with a clear error message) if you try to import a file with that type name into Alice in a model file.

Old
Chris101b

Default 10-21-2009, 12:27 PM

I did it once a long time ago. I made a pillar in google sketchup and was able to export it into Alice after much trial and error. Unfortunately, the polygon count was way too high for alice to handle. The video wouldn't play if I was looking at the column. If I wasn't, the movie was fine. I forgot how I did it though, so it's not much help :P

I am nowhere and everywhere at the same time.

www.facebook.com/chris101b
Xbox Live GT: Chris101b
Youtube: (You guessed it) www.youtube.com/chris101b

Old
xxledzeppelin2x3

Default 10-31-2009, 08:23 PM

not to kind of get off subject but what is the difference between sketchup 6 and sketchup 7 ?