Alice Community  

Go Back   Alice Community > Alice 2 > How do I...?

How do I make a person's arm move correctly?
Old
kglavan

Question How do I make a person's arm move correctly? - 05-30-2008, 09:03 AM

We were using Alice as a person and trying to get her to move her hand from the front of her body as it starts to touching a tree above her head. Also trying to get a person to wave is hard. Can anyone give me some pointers as to which directions I should use for the arms? Thanks

Last edited by kglavan; 05-30-2008 at 09:11 AM.

No common direction references
Old
DrJim

Default No common direction references - 05-30-2008, 11:04 AM

You pretty much have to experiment - right click on the object to be moved in the object tree and run some of the simple methods. (You can also try moving the parts with the mouse - but this behaves slightly different than the methods. There are some forum postings on this.)

The Alice characters were developed by many people and without a common directional reference standard. The good news is that give you a lot of characters - the bad news is that they don't all behave the same.

Old
DickBaldwin

Default 05-30-2008, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kglavan View Post
We were using Alice as a person and trying to get her to move her hand from the front of her body as it starts to touching a tree above her head. Also trying to get a person to wave is hard. Can anyone give me some pointers as to which directions I should use for the arms? Thanks
There isn't much that someone can do for you short of writing your program for you when it comes to creating realistic motion for various body parts.

Creating realistic motion for body parts is not a simple task. However, it is easier once you understand the locations of the pivot points of the various body parts and the relationship of each body part to its own red, green, and blue axes as well as the relationship of the body part to the red, green, and blue axes of the body as a whole.

I recommend that you go to the following URL and start working through the tutorials that deal with those issues.

http://www.dickbaldwin.com/tocalice.htm

Dick Baldwin
Free Alice tutorials: http://www.dickbaldwin.com/tocalice.htm
Free Scratch tutorials: http://www.dickbaldwin.com/tocHomeSchool.htm
Free Java/C#, etc. tutorials: http://www.dickbaldwin.com/toc.htm

no pivot points shown
Old
kglavan

Unhappy no pivot points shown - 06-11-2008, 09:37 PM

Dick Baldwin,
Thanks, I did go through some of the tutorials, except when I use Alice on my computer (mac) it does not show the pivot points. How do I know which way they go? Is there a axis control I need to turn on so that the lines can be seen?

Old
DickBaldwin

Default 06-11-2008, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Dick Baldwin,
Thanks, I did go through some of the tutorials, except when I use Alice on my computer (mac) it does not show the pivot points. How do I know which way they go? Is there a axis control I need to turn on so that the lines can be seen?
Unfortunately, I don't know anything about a MAC. If you can't see the red, green, and blue axes belonging to an object when you select it during program development, that is a serious problem. Maybe Gabe, or someone who uses Alice on a MAC can provide some information.

In the meantime, here is something else that you can try while waiting on advice from MAC users.

Add an object to the world and select the object.
Select the properties tab.
Set the opacity to perhaps 30% and see if you can see the red, green, and blue axes now.
If not, select Seldom Used Properties to expose several other properties.
Set the value of isPivotShowing to true.

If you still can't see the red, green, and blue axes, I don't know how you will be able to do much of anything that involves manipulating the various parts of objects. You must be able to see these axes to know how to turn and roll the various parts of the object to simulate natural motion.

Dick Baldwin

Old
kglavan

Default 06-11-2008, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DickBaldwin View Post
Maybe Gabe, or someone who uses Alice on a MAC can provide some information.

Set the opacity to perhaps 30% and see if you can see the red, green, and blue axes now.
If not, select Seldom Used Properties to expose several other properties.
Set the value of isPivotShowing to true.

Dick Baldwin
I did try all of these things earlier and none of them work. I hope Gabe or someone can help me with this problem using macs.

Old
DrJim

Default 06-12-2008, 07:12 AM

I don't have a Mac either - so can't say if that's the problem. But I can suggest one last test. Add a fairly simple object to your world and then set its filling style to "points". You shoud see a batch of very tiny points (Wow ), the bounding box and the 3 axis in different colors.

Sometimes the axis are hidden inside an object and are hard to see. This will verify that they are at least there and you can try the wireframe mode and see if that makes the axis more visable for your actual animation work.

An added note - you should always see the axis in edit mode. The "isPivotShowing" control turns it's visability on and off when the world is actually running.

As a last resort, if you can't get the model axis to show, add an axis object from the shape library and move it to and orient it to the object you want to move.

Old
kglavan

Default 06-12-2008, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrJim View Post
As a last resort, if you can't get the model axis to show, add an axis object from the shape library and move it to and orient it to the object you want to move.
I changed the filling style to points then to wireframes, both of them will not show axis points. As you said for the last resort, I added the axis from the shape objects file and had to do it that way.

Thanks Dr Jim!

Does anyone use Alice on a Mac and have this problem?

Old
DrJim

Default 06-13-2008, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Does anyone use Alice on a Mac and have this problem?
I really hope someone with a Mac will comment and/or help. Can't imagine trying to do animations without being able to see the pivot points, axis and bounding boxes - and adding them yourself would be very time consuming.

For reference, I've attached three views (standard, wireframe and points) of Alice's left arm as they appear on my PC running XP. As you can see, the axis are somewhat hidden by the object itself in the standard view - but very clear in the others.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg Alice's Left Arm.jpeg (17.9 KB, 376 views)

Can't see axes on Mac
Old
bclamore

Default Can't see axes on Mac - 08-11-2008, 10:13 PM

I have Macbook (OSX 10.4), and I also can't see the RGB axes. No bounding boxes either. I tried changing all the parameters, including the seldom used variety.

Also when I set the opacity to anything <= 50% the entire object becomes invisible. Any value >50% is completely opaque.

Any ideas?