Alice Community  

Go Back   Alice Community > Alice 2 > How do I...?

Couple questions...
Old
JCHonda

Default Couple questions... - 04-23-2009, 05:48 PM

I am currently making an rpg game for my end semester project... and so far so good... but I have a couple of questions that would be a lot of help:

1) Say I have a method that asks a person their name, and then stores in in a variable. Is there a way of calling that variable from another method?

EX:
char1: What is your name?
input name
store name

user walks and finds char 2
when user clicks on char 2 (do char2 method)

char2: Hello there, (name!)

-----------

2) When a user creates a character and stores his/her name in the variable... is it possible to have alice change a pre-made 3D text to the users name? (A name that hovers above the users head)

TIA

James

Old
Scott300

Default 04-24-2009, 07:58 AM

1)Ya the variables in alice are global so a variable in method: my first method can call a variable in method: my second method

2)Yes just check the properties when clicking on the 3D text there will be a field with the text, just a clue make sure you put the (as a string) function in before you put the variable in for editing the 3D text.
  Send a message via AIM to Scott300 Send a message via MSN to Scott300  
Old
JCHonda

Default 04-26-2009, 02:46 PM

how do I call those variables

Old
HisWorld

Default 04-26-2009, 02:49 PM

Just drag and drop them into a method. Just beware that changing a global varible, changes the value of it for any and all method calls to is. It maybe safer in a large game to also create local variable and have them dependent on the global variable.

Old
JCHonda

Default 04-26-2009, 02:55 PM

whats the difference between a globlal and local variable?

Old
HisWorld

Default 04-26-2009, 05:16 PM

It's hard for me to relate what I know with the rest of the world of programming and with alice, but I'll try.

Local variables in Alice will only effect the exact method in which they are created. Meaning you could have two different methods and in each create a variable named "player" Even though they have the same name what you do to one variable will not effect the other.

example:

method1
set "player = 1"
method2
set "player = 2"

if method1.player = 1
result true

A Global variable however is shared among all methods that use it.

example:

method1
set "global.player = 1"
method2
set "global.player = 2"

if method1.player = 1
result false

I hope that helped, it hard to explain since I've just started to really get into working with Alice today. Look for my other posts I have a program or two I've made with global and local variables in them.