Alice Community  

Go Back   Alice Community > Alice 2 > Share Worlds

Old
Chris101b

Default 02-06-2010, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by x2495iiii View Post
I figured that's what you were going to do originally, since that allows the most file space for cool game stuff anyway, so it wouldn't bother me any, since that's what I'd do if I were making a game like this.

Darn it, there I go again!
Well I was going to do the first initial cutscene separate and then shorter ones within the game. The opening cutscene is the big one. Then in episode 1 there is a cutscene to start it off, then gameplay, then a cutscene to end it. That is what it is like for all of the episodes until the end, where the final cutscene will be its own separate world.

And Jediaction, we are having a competition on whose game will be the best. RP4 (Resident Penguin 4) or Infiltration 2. It is just a tiny competition to keep us motivated enough to follow through on the projects.

I am nowhere and everywhere at the same time.

www.facebook.com/chris101b
Xbox Live GT: Chris101b
Youtube: (You guessed it) www.youtube.com/chris101b

Old
jediaction

Default 02-08-2010, 09:48 AM

WEll i have to say, Inflintration is looking very very good and i am so excited with it. Resident penguin 4. I dont know the game play is completely different and so! so! so! cool so i cant wait. When does teh competition end? I did not see any comments

FaceBook: www.facebook.com/SalokinGames

Old
jediaction

Default 02-08-2010, 12:45 PM

Chris101b, i would want to be in the next competition with you guys. I would want to have a competition with you x2495iiii and me so how about it

Old
x2495iiii
Super Moderator

Default 02-08-2010, 01:05 PM

I'm okay with that I suppose. Chris should give his opinion as well, though.

I think we should lay some ground rules. Here's my idea, if you two have any other suggestions or think one of the rule should be changed, feel free to say so.

Rule #1: It has to be a full game. Chris's engine, jedi's demo, and my Hyper Sports blah blah worlds aren't gonna cut it. There should be
-an object of the game
-a reasonable challenge
-a way to win and a way (or ways) to lose

Rule #2: It should be as bug-free as you can make it. It's very difficult, however, to find all the bugs in a program you always play a certain way, so there should be a preliminary bug-testing round where the first versions are released so that others can play them and report any bugs they find. After which, we can fix the bugs (and make NO other changes) and release the final versions.

Rule #3: If we decide to compete for best game (it's supposed to be light-spirited and motivational, remember), the entries should be judged by the peoples. Maybe have three areas of competition:
-Most views
-Most positive feedback
-Fewest bugs
-Released first
-A straight up vote via an anonymous poll

Rule #4: Though it is a competition, it's supposed to be light spirited. If we decide to have a competition for best game, only one entry can win, so regardless of the outcome, I expect good sportsmanship all around.

(')>

Old
jediaction

Default 02-08-2010, 01:46 PM

one question. The "most views" thing is not going to cut it. You dont know which one people are going to look at more. That is not something that should not be judged by. I agree, when do you guys finish?

Last edited by jediaction; 02-08-2010 at 04:25 PM.

Old
Chris101b

Default 02-08-2010, 03:59 PM

Agreed.... well on some of the rules.

1. The view count thing shouldn't count (Just like Jedi said) It can be too easily boosted and could produce biased results.

2. This competition is going to be a little weird for me since I am not only making a game, but a movie as well. So when it comes down to it, my game is half and half competing against a full game. I am right now working on the cutscene while everyone else works on the game itself (of course I have the engine made... so I guess it wont be too bad).

3. Released first shouldn't be a "set in stone" rule either. I have to make the opening cutscene and then the game. Not only that, but I have college, homework, work, life and sleep fighting against me. I mean I will work on it as often as I possibly can (I would work on it right now but have to leave for a class in 5 minutes) but released first is kind of a weird rule. I know it keeps us motivated, but it all depends who has the most time to make it.

4. Mine is split into 5 episodes.... how is that going to work? The five episodes will constitute into a full game...

Old
jediaction

Default 02-08-2010, 04:04 PM

When does the competition end

Old
jediaction

Default 02-08-2010, 04:25 PM

I found out i have biturn blender and google sketchup. Now i have any model. you can just download from there and enjoy but now i need to convert. Can anyone tell me step by step hwo to do this

Old
x2495iiii
Super Moderator

Default 02-08-2010, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris101b View Post
Agreed.... well on some of the rules.

1. The view count thing shouldn't count (Just like Jedi said) It can be too easily boosted and could produce biased results.
Believe it or not, that's actually not true. I tried experimenting with the view counter myself awhile back and you can't make it go up simply by downloading it a bunch of times yourself. It's actually one of the best gauges of how popular a game is. Case and point: everything by madden. Some of his games have 1000+ views. Now, they've been up for quite a long time, but people wouldn't have viewed them if they weren't interested in them. But if you guys don't want it, that's alright. The poll will do fine.

Quote:
2. This competition is going to be a little weird for me since I am not only making a game, but a movie as well. So when it comes down to it, my game is half and half competing against a full game. I am right now working on the cutscene while everyone else works on the game itself (of course I have the engine made... so I guess it wont be too bad).
I figured that would just give you the advantage of story. Not necessarily a hindrance as much as a difference.

Quote:
3. Released first shouldn't be a "set in stone" rule either. I have to make the opening cutscene and then the game. Not only that, but I have college, homework, work, life and sleep fighting against me. I mean I will work on it as often as I possibly can (I would work on it right now but have to leave for a class in 5 minutes) but released first is kind of a weird rule. I know it keeps us motivated, but it all depends who has the most time to make it.
True, but then again, I actually have the same amount of things against me. I don't have sleep, since I actually sleep very little, but I do have a family that hogs my laptop with my game files in it (one of whom is in college as well, another of whom is ENTERING college). I think that one should stay at the very least because it adds more diversity to the mix.

Quote:
4. Mine is split into 5 episodes.... how is that going to work? The five episodes will constitute into a full game...
Ahhh... hmm... well how about you work hard to make this first episode your best work yet, and we'll have the competition between our three games then. Later, when all your episodes are done, we can have a series competition between the RP series, one of jedi's FPS series-s, and your 5 episode series (and you'll definitely have the advantage in that one).

As for when it should end, I haven't thought about it. I figured that when the last one of us enters his final (bug-fixed) version, the judging can begin and the winner can be decided. Unless you meant when the deadline is or when no more entrants will be accepted, because there aren't any dates for those. I figure they'll be done when they're done and whoever has the time and guts enough to enter can enter whenever they want.

(')>

Old
Chris101b

Default 02-08-2010, 05:15 PM

Okay, that works. I mean on the excitement side, the first episode will be so-so. It is more of a training mission. I mean it teaches you the mechanics of the game and then you fight a few enemies. It's all about pacing, but I will have to see where it goes. The rest should be better though and I plan on dealing with different situations in different episodes: regular combat, driving, stealth, etc. Of course that is all just what it is on paper, making it all work in alice will be the big challenge for me.

Good luck everyone! And may the best man win.