Alice Community

Alice Community (http://www.alice.org/community/index.php)
-   Share Worlds (http://www.alice.org/community/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   1 mb Contest (http://www.alice.org/community/showthread.php?t=10964)

RavenOfCode 01-08-2015 02:51 PM

2 MB Contest

[SIZE="3"][FONT="Arial"]To make the forums more interesting, I thought a contest would be nice :)

Rules:
1. Max game size is 2 MB for more advanced programmers try to get 1 MB :)
2. All entries due by Sat. Jan. 17th
3. Forum Poll will judge
4. The game play must be longer than 1 minute

Have fun and good luck,
RavenOfCode[/FONT][/SIZE]

MrMoke 01-08-2015 04:21 PM

Better Check it out Buddy

A 1 megabit limit might cause a few problems :rolleyes:

sfunk 01-08-2015 05:03 PM

[QUOTE=MrMoke;55325]A 1 megabit limit might cause a few problems :rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

I'm pretty sure he meant 1MB :P And it is a good idea. Maybe have a few more rules added.

Like the game needs at least an ending of some sort(game overs would count)

Must have the ability to reset the game and play without using the restart button that Alice gives.

Game has the ability to be played longer than a minute.

RavenOfCode 01-08-2015 05:12 PM

Woops my mistake... 1 MB :)

[QUOTE=sfunk;55326]I'm pretty sure he meant 1MB :P And it is a good idea. Maybe have a few more rules added.

Like the game needs at least an ending of some sort(game overs would count)

Must have the ability to reset the game and play without using the restart button that Alice gives.

Game has the ability to be played longer than a minute.[/QUOTE]

Game played longer than a minute is a good suggestion. However I think beyond that isn't necessary as that will just make people like it less.

sfunk 01-08-2015 05:27 PM

The only problem with 1 MB is the game is still going to have to be very simple. there isn't much you can do. I would say make it 3 MB. That would allow for some better and more worthwhile games.

RavenOfCode 01-08-2015 05:53 PM

Thats the point

Thats kinda the point of the game, is a simple game, to make it more fun you need to be creative with what Alice gives you and create a small but fun game.
Its not supposed to be a wowing game (even though that is possible) but the best game for a very small size. :)

I did this once before when I was in an Alice class, my original game was only 157 KBs and still fun :)

RavenOfCode 01-08-2015 06:50 PM

Rethink

I thought it over and 2 MB does seem more realistic for some good solid game play :)

Btw are you planning on entering? Either of you?

sfunk 01-08-2015 06:55 PM

I will submit something. I am almost finished with it actually. And if I remember correctly, tetris was only 40kB or something like that. so you can make a great game, It's just most people new to Alice tend to not know how to streamline their coding that well. It is good practice to do so. I am shooting for the 1MB requirement

sfunk 01-08-2015 08:08 PM

A Mega Bite (ha.ha.ha Get IT?)

1 Attachment(s)
Well here is my game. hope you guys enjoy. there needs to be a thread started so all the games can be in the same thread, at the very beginning of the thread in the first post so people can access them easier.

[COLOR="Lime"][SIZE="6"]Instructions[/SIZE][/COLOR]

You use the left and right arrows to turn your character, and then space-bar to shoot

RavenOfCode 01-08-2015 09:20 PM

Thread

After the contest is over I will post all the games (with rights given to the creators) on one thread.

I'm trying your game out now :) It looks fun :)

Edit: I tried your game out! Its really fun :) The animations are cool so are the sounds, reminds me of some old games made from Java I used to play :)