Alice Community

Alice Community (http://www.alice.org/community/index.php)
-   Share Worlds (http://www.alice.org/community/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   [Alice 2.2]Tower Defense game (http://www.alice.org/community/showthread.php?t=6771)

Chao 06-15-2011 12:47 PM

[Alice 2.2]Tower Defense game

[SIZE="5"][COLOR="Red"]This program is meant to be run on alice 2.2. If you choose to run it on any other alice version, it might lag or crash.[/COLOR][/SIZE]

Hey everyone,
I'm new to the alice forums, but not new to alice. I guess I decided to join the forums to help people out with some of there problems or to post some of my games that I make with alice (Even though I make most of my games in other programming languages).

So anyway, i'll get right down to the game:
This is my final project that I did for a alice class at my high school. I thought it was pretty awesome, so I thought that I would share it with some people to get some feed back. It's pretty much juts a tower defense game, assuming you know what that is. It doesn't really have anything special in it, it's just a normal tower defense game.
I would like it if I could get some feedback such as things that I should add, or just comments.

Here is a list of things that I plan to add to this game:
-Achievements (Saveable)
-Saveable games
-Pausing
-Boss monsters
-More music
-Sound effects (not just bgm)
-More bgms

[SIZE="4"][B]Download[/B]: [URL="http://adf.ly/1oogh"]Adf.ly download[/URL][/SIZE]
(Click the link, then wait 5 seconds and click the "skip ad" button in the top right corner of your screen)
(I have to use a different uploader because my game exceeds the size for a A2W file (20MB, my game is 60MB))

Velochicdunord 06-18-2011 09:17 PM

Tried to open the game....

And got an error message that my 2.2 Alice (Mac, G4 running Java 1.5) was unable to open the file. Don't know if the error message will be useful or not:

--------------------------
Unable to load world

Alice version: 2.2 8/01/2009

Throwable that caused the error:
edu.cmu.cs.stage3.alice.core.ExceptionWrapper: ClassNotFoundException: edu.cmu.cs.stage3.alice.core.question.math.Int
at edu.cmu.cs.stage3.alice.core.Element.load(Element.java:1492)
at edu.cmu.cs.stage3.alice.core.Element.load(Element.java:1477)
at edu.cmu.cs.stage3.alice.core.Element.load(Element.java:1525)
at edu.cmu.cs.stage3.alice.authoringtool.dialog.LoadElementProgressPane.construct(LoadElementProgressPane.java:36)
at edu.cmu.cs.stage3.progress.ProgressPane$2.run(ProgressPane.java:82)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:655)
Wrapped exception:
java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: edu.cmu.cs.stage3.alice.core.question.math.Int
at java.net.URLClassLoader$1.run(URLClassLoader.java:200)
at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
at java.net.URLClassLoader.findClass(URLClassLoader.java:188)
at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:317)
at sun.misc.Launcher$AppClassLoader.loadClass(Launcher.java:280)
at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:252)
at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClassInternal(ClassLoader.java:375)
at java.lang.Class.forName0(Native Method)
at java.lang.Class.forName(Class.java:164)
at edu.cmu.cs.stage3.alice.core.Element.load(Element.java:1442)
at edu.cmu.cs.stage3.alice.core.Element.load(Element.java:1525)
at edu.cmu.cs.stage3.alice.authoringtool.dialog.LoadElementProgressPane.construct(LoadElementProgressPane.java:36)
at edu.cmu.cs.stage3.progress.ProgressPane$2.run(ProgressPane.java:82)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:655)

------------------

Had downloaded your program to evaluate as a demo for one of our City of Birmingham middle-school computer science camps - kind of sorry not to be able to see what you've created!

Velochicdunord
Computer science student at the University of Alabama at Birmingham

arty-fishL 06-19-2011 03:17 AM

Your error is because you don't have the latest version of 2.2 (it has the int function).

I wasn't too sure what to do in the game.

TauTrumpsPi 06-19-2011 06:49 AM

[QUOTE=arty-fishL;37745]I wasn't too sure what to do in the game.[/QUOTE]

Have you ever seen a tower defense game before? If not, google bloons tower defense.

The towers you start with will kill the enemies, and for each enemy you kill you get more money. When you have enough money, you can buy another tower by clicking on it, and it will start attacking after becoming fully opaque. You can also upgrade your cash by clicking the golden + sign next to your money, and you will then get more cash per enemy killled. The point is to buy towers of different types in the right positions to survive the enemy onslaught for as long as possible.

arty-fishL 06-19-2011 08:58 AM

[QUOTE=TauTrumpsPi;37748]Have you ever seen a tower defense game before? If not, google bloons tower defense.

The towers you start with will kill the enemies, and for each enemy you kill you get more money. When you have enough money, you can buy another tower by clicking on it, and it will start attacking after becoming fully opaque. You can also upgrade your cash by clicking the golden + sign next to your money, and you will then get more cash per enemy killled. The point is to buy towers of different types in the right positions to survive the enemy onslaught for as long as possible.[/QUOTE]Oh, Ive played plenty, but every one I've played I had to place the towers myself, not click on ones that are already there.

Velochicdunord 06-19-2011 10:48 AM

Thanks arty-fishL!

Updating my Alice install solved the problem with opening the game.

Also, like you, when I opened the game, I wasn't sure what to do with it.
For that reason, will not be using this as a demo.

It looks like Chaos has put a lot of work into the the game; however, if it isn't clear to the user, it won't get used. Welcome to the game design learning curve! A novice user will always give you the feedback you don't want... but which needs to be dealt with if people are going to enjoy the game.

All the best,

Velochicdunord

Chao 06-23-2011 04:26 PM

Well, this is only version 1, so I will make improvements. I will make a better intructions screen, but not until later. I had to get this done in a hurry.