Alice Community

Alice Community (http://www.alice.org/community/index.php)
-   The Lounge (http://www.alice.org/community/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Tutorial: Create a Website for absolutely Free (http://www.alice.org/community/showthread.php?t=6967)

Nighthawk0973 07-20-2011 02:47 PM

Tutorial: Create a Website for absolutely Free

Hello Alice Community! In this tutorial I'm going to show you how to create your own website for absolutely no cost, and give it a custom URL (this part is free too!)

Part 1:

Visit a free website service. I use google sites since that's the website service I found out about when I visited Chrome Games website a while back :)

Create your website and than visit the main page and copy the URL at the top.

Now go to the following URL [QUOTE][url]www.dot.tk[/url][/QUOTE]
(here is where your going to use the URL you copied.)
create a new domain and set the URL to:

yoursitename.tk

if you would prefer your URL to be:

[url]www.yoursitename.tk[/url]

don't worry, both will work the same. Note that you cannot type .com instead of .tk but you can change 'yoursitename' to ANYTHING you want provided that it fits within the rules they have set out (you can't use a URL already created and you can't add special characters like #,$,@,$,%,^,&,*, and so on. I don't think so anyways)

Once you've done this (don't worry about e-mail registration, just do the no-email mode) than your set and ready to go!

The only problem with this method is that you can only have 30 visitors to your site in one month. (using the .tk domain name) of course you can always just have your visitors use the original website URL if the maximum visits has been reached.

If you want to create a forum for your website first go to [url]www.nabble.com[/url].

Create a free forum, once your done (e-mail registration required here) than visit the main page of your forum and copy the URL of the forum.

Next create a new page on your website, name it forums. (or forum, whatever you want really) Now you have to hope your website hosting service supports HTML because you need to start using HTML to add the forum into your website. Insert the following code into your HTML doc:

[CODE]
<iframe src="INSERT THE URL OF YOUR FORUM HERE" width=500 height=1000 />
[/CODE]

you can add the other properties or iframe if you know them, also, set the width and height to whatever you want. Now go ahead and save the page, if you did everything correctly you should see your forum inside your website. When you sign in under your account with the forums (the one you created when you orginized them) you can edit the permissions, change people to moderators, and even change the visual style of the forums to match that of your website.

Anyways that's all for this brief tutorial, I hope you guys learned something new!

If you have any questions ask me.

David B 07-20-2011 02:55 PM

I use [url]www.forumotion.com[/url] to create my forums.

sfunk 07-20-2011 03:49 PM

why not just use notepad? and type it out all yourself? I made a website along time ago for one of my tech classes in school, it was incredibly simple, and it is free aswell

Nighthawk0973 07-20-2011 07:27 PM

What do you mean 'use notepad'? To create a website? Sure you can create a decent website that way but how do you upload it to the web for free?

sfunk 07-20-2011 08:18 PM

I forget that part, there is a website on all the coding which will allow you to put it up on the web, it shouldn't be that hard, i'll try to find the website

arty-fishL 07-21-2011 03:18 AM

What I do

I use Heliohost for my AODb website. Everything was written by me (no WYSIWYG editor) in Notepad++. Currently the website you see when you go onto it is on Webeden, which does have WYSIWYG editing, but I'm dumping that site soon and using my new completely handwritten (or typed) site on Heliohost.

I use x10hosting for things that don't require Python (they don't run Python on x10, but x10 is more reliable than Heliohost).

I used to use SixServe, but they were completely unreliable and then they ruined their service by changing it all and deleting my site.

For URLs I use co.cc or cz.cc