Alice Community

Alice Community (http://www.alice.org/community/index.php)
-   Teaching Using Alice 2 (http://www.alice.org/community/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Will Alice 2 Work on Chrome Books? (http://www.alice.org/community/showthread.php?t=11571)

marbella 09-10-2016 10:31 AM

Will Alice 2 Work on Chrome Books?

Will Alice 2 work on a Chrome book? Thank you!

chickentree 09-11-2016 03:58 PM

[QUOTE=marbella;57289]Will Alice 2 work on a Chrome book? Thank you![/QUOTE]

I don't own a Chromebook and haven't used many so I am not positive, but I believe that Chromebooks do not allow standalone programs to be loaded. Everything is done through a browser app. If this is the case then Alice will not run on a Chromebook as is.
Since Alice is basically based on Java I imagine it might be possible to port it to a Chromebook but the size of typical Alice movies would probably make it a real performance challenge.

I wish the current Alice source was available. It would be a great source for both learning how real projects are put together and for the community to find and suggest fixes for some of the eccentricities Alice displays from time to time.

... whine, whine ...
Mark

RavenOfCode 09-12-2016 03:20 PM

I couldn't get it to work on one. If you find a way let me know!

Also congrats on Super Moderator chickentree!

MrMoke 10-13-2016 01:39 PM

[QUOTE=chickentree;57292]I don't own a Chromebook and haven't used many so I am not positive, but I believe that Chromebooks do not allow standalone programs to be loaded. Everything is done through a browser app. If this is the case then Alice will not run on a Chromebook as is.
[U]Since Alice is basically based on Java [/U]I imagine it might be possible to port it to a Chromebook but the size of typical Alice movies would probably make it a real performance challenge.

I wish the current Alice source was available. It would be a great source for both learning how real projects are put together and for the community to find and suggest fixes for some of the eccentricities Alice displays from time to time.

... whine, whine ...
Mark[/QUOTE]

Also, if you look into the Alice2 file folders you will find another one labeled "Jython-2.1"(approx.: March 2007). The latest release is Version 2.7(May 2015), and adds a significant number of advanced features. Upgrading Alice2 to this version might be a large challenge, but would be an awesome project for Advanced CS majors at CM.:)

chickentree 10-13-2016 09:57 PM

[QUOTE=MrMoke;57353]Actually, if you look into the Alice2 file folders you will find one labeled "Jython-2.1"(approx.: March 2007). The latest release is Version 2.7(May 2015), and adds a significant number of advanced features. Upgrading Alice2 to this version might be a large challenge, but would be an awesome project for Advanced CS majors at CM.:)[/QUOTE]

B..b..but I just found the perfect cheese :D

MrMoke 10-16-2016 07:14 PM

Yum-- Send me some:p