Alice Community

Alice Community (http://www.alice.org/community/index.php)
-   The Lounge (http://www.alice.org/community/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Great. (http://www.alice.org/community/showthread.php?t=6500)

DensetsuNoKaboom 05-09-2011 03:32 PM

Great.

My flash drive, which I used to store my Alice projects and Alice itself, as well as a lot of stuff for school, is broken.

When I put it in to my computer it does nothing. If I press really hard the computer sometimes makes the noise it makes when you put it in, but then makes the noise for taking it out. Nothing seems to be working right. There goes my Alice progress...

sfunk 05-09-2011 03:48 PM

i had the same trouble before, but once I opened up alice off my flash drive, it wiped everything off of my flash drive, and a school project i made was on there, very sad day becaused i got docked major points

DensetsuNoKaboom 05-09-2011 03:57 PM

On closer inspection, it seems that for some reason the drive is not going all the way into the USB port. Any way to fix that?

sfunk 05-09-2011 04:15 PM

just try moving it around until it connects, thats your best bet, and once it gets connected, try moving all files before it disconnects haha, If the flash drive is one that is a slider, try pushing the slider part while sticking it itno the port.

DensetsuNoKaboom 05-11-2011 03:20 PM

It's not a slider, and when it does connect there's no time to do anything with it before it disconnects.

Please, could somebody help? I had all my cool Alice worlds on there and I don't want to have to start from scratch... :(

sfunk 05-11-2011 03:27 PM

If your in school, you could try asking your computer tech teacher/computer networker for the school, becuase if anyone can do anything for you, they would be the best option.

iua 05-11-2011 05:19 PM

If it is all lost then the best thing you can start with is downloading all your Alice work off the forums.

You shouldn't keep all your files in one place. Back them up on your computer or google docs for example.

Mr Kidnapper 05-12-2011 07:06 PM

If your USB does not go "all the way in" for a particular computer, it's because that computer's USB ports are slightly larger than they should be. If it has a tight fit and hard to pull out, that's the ideal. It is possible to wear down a USB port by impoperly removing the USB device from the port, say yanking it out from angles, etc. If the particular computer does have a tight fit, then it is your USB.
Not long ago my 16GB Corsair Voyager broke down with a similar error. It was formatted to NTFS and set up to be able to install a Windows 7 AIO and also contained some other nice things. That particular breakdown was due to the NTFS format, which is extremely prone to breaking down when it is removed, meaning that it's important to get an appropriately sized USB for minimal usage and lack of extra nice things...

DensetsuNoKaboom 05-13-2011 04:51 PM

Well, today by squeezing the flash drive a little bit and pushing REALLY hard, I ALMOST got it.

But not quite...

What's really upsetting is that I just got a project that requires the use of a flash drive...

sfunk 05-13-2011 09:02 PM

This may be a helpful hint, but if you have a music player like an mp3 or ipod you can actually use those to hold projects for you lol