View Single Post
Scarab-Based Character and World
Old
DrJim

Default Scarab-Based Character and World - 03-20-2008, 12:10 AM

The attached as is isn’t going to win any contests, but might give some of the people interested in models and gaming a few project ideas that avoid having to create your own 3D meshes. You can instead practice moving your character using OOP type commands – Alice is much easier to learn than even Action Script for Flash animation (although the latter is actually more rigorously object oriented). The scripting languages for the major 3D graphics tools are even more complex.

The original idea came I was looking at some on-line 3D-model art (http://www.angelfire.com/wa2/xia/indexthumb.html ) and came across the first image. It reminded me of the scarab model in Alice – and the rest are very quick texture and shape modes to the scarab to turn it into a bit more of a fantasy caracter. (To get the original texture to work with, I unzipped the original .a2c file with 7-zip.)

Note particularly the effect of using transparent alpha-layer texture regions. This gives a more fantasy effect – with a bit more effort one could give the scarab the mean looking mouth of the original.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 3DCreature.jpg (24.6 KB, 244 views)
File Type: jpg scarab_mod.jpg (13.5 KB, 243 views)
Attached Files
File Type: a2w SF.a2w (444.0 KB, 249 views)
File Type: zip Textures.zip (220.0 KB, 226 views)