View Single Post
Old
chickentree
Super Moderator

Default 05-03-2013, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramo10 View Post
Im trying to Install Alice 2.3 on ubuntu but I need help.

After I opened the terminal to the directory of where I downloaded the file which is cd ~/Downloads , I followed the step which was to run in the command, tar xvfz Alice2.3tar.gz , but once it begins to extract, i get a message at the end saying, "tar: Exiting with failure status due to previous errors"

At first I tried to extract the file to the desktop and I got an error saying "tar: Alice2.3/Required/jre/man/ja: Cannot create symlink to `ja_JP.eucJP': File exists"
Could that be the problem?
I recently got Alice working on Debian 6.0.7 64 bit. If I remember correctly all the problems involved permissions. I still have two problems but Alice seems to run normally (for Alice) the problems are:
  1. The splash screen persists until I cancel the opening dialog box.
  2. Frequently Alice pops up a message window saying that she threw a null pointer exception during startup.
Again, after clearing these Alice seems to behave.

I have included a list of the owner and permission setting for my present Alice installation and an example of the commands I used to set permissions in the gallery. Unfortunately, I did not keep track of all the steps I performed and I am not sure how to submit this to "them" so the build could be fixed but here is what I've got....
Attached Files
File Type: txt AlicePermissions.txt (9.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: txt AliceChanges.txt (519 Bytes, 0 views)