Alice Community  

Go Back   Alice Community > Alice 2 > Bugs and Troubleshooting

Alice does not launch.
Old
dyanek

Unhappy Alice does not launch. - 02-17-2008, 03:21 PM

When I click on Alice.exe the splash screen displays for a brief second and then nothing happens. I have read the other posts concerning this issue and none of those remedies applied or worked.

I am using an HP Compaq tc4400 tablet with XP Pro and SP2 with an Intel Core 2 CPU T7200 @ 2.00 GHz and 3GB of RAM. The bizarre thing is that Alice ran fine on my previous two tablets [with much of the same software loaded] that had slower chips and less RAM. Alice runs fine on my colleague's tablet which is exactly the same specs with similar software. Also, I have admin rights on the tablet.

I tried installing Alice from the CD provided with the 'Learning to Program with Alice" text as well as from the webSite. I installed each to the C: drive. Both failed to launch.

The Slow and Steady version starts fine. So I can use that in class, it's just that I would prefer to run the same version as my students.

I followed the instructions from another post and have attached my tasklist.txt.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Attached Files
File Type: txt tasklist.txt (6.6 KB, 491 views)

Old
DickBaldwin

Default 02-17-2008, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dyanek View Post
When I click on Alice.exe the splash screen displays for a brief second and then nothing happens. I have read the other posts concerning this issue and none of those remedies applied or worked.

I am using an HP Compaq tc4400 tablet with XP Pro and SP2 with an Intel Core 2 CPU T7200 @ 2.00 GHz and 3GB of RAM. The bizarre thing is that Alice ran fine on my previous two tablets [with much of the same software loaded] that had slower chips and less RAM. Alice runs fine on my colleague's tablet which is exactly the same specs with similar software. Also, I have admin rights on the tablet.

I tried installing Alice from the CD provided with the 'Learning to Program with Alice" text as well as from the webSite. I installed each to the C: drive. Both failed to launch.

The Slow and Steady version starts fine. So I can use that in class, it's just that I would prefer to run the same version as my students.

I followed the instructions from another post and have attached my tasklist.txt.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Check and see if you have a process named imgicon, (or a name similar to that), running. If so, it will prevent Alice 2.0 from starting properly but will allow "slow and steady" to start okay.

Dick Baldwin
Free Alice tutorials: http://www.dickbaldwin.com/tocalice.htm
Free programming tutorials: http://www.dickbaldwin.com/toc.htm

Old
dyanek

Default 02-18-2008, 08:28 AM

Dick,

I checked for that and no such luck. I do not have any Iomegaware installed on the machine.

Thanks for the reply and suggestion though. It must be some other process.
-Don

Old
gabe
Administrator

Default 02-18-2008, 10:29 AM

Can you try booting up with a diagnostic startup? This will allow you to boot only with windows essentials (I believe Alice should still run). Might be a first step in seeing if it is a conflict with another process.

Run > msconfig

Under the General tab, select Diagnostic Startup

Note that you will have to manually change this back to your normal startup after testing.

Old
dyanek

Default 02-18-2008, 10:13 PM

I restarted in diagnostic mode and Alice started up just fine!

I asked my colleague to send me his tasklist and they are almost identical. I ended any processes that were unique to my machine and still no luck.

Any suggestions? Is there anything in particular that I should look for?

Thanks.

Old
dyanek

Smile 02-18-2008, 10:40 PM

Ok. Just got it to work.

I right clicked on the Alice.exe icon and went to the compatibility tab and checked "Turn off advanced text services for this program" and now it works!

Can anyone explain this?

I haven't tried developing any programs yet, but I am assuming that all functionality will still work.