Alice Community  

Go Back   Alice Community > General Discussion > Questions and Comments

Alice in languages other than English
Old
edem

Default Alice in languages other than English - 07-20-2012, 01:56 PM

I want to help with a workshop to initiate young kids to programming by using Alice in French-spoken Africa. The language being however a potential barrier, I was wondering if there is any way to have the Alice software menu in French.

Old
Mr Kidnapper

Default 07-20-2012, 05:13 PM

Yes. This is possible.
In your "Alice 2.2\Required\resources" folder there is a .py file called Alice Style.
It contains all of the Alice functions and method names in English. To translate this you simply need to change the strings in the quotation marks.
I recommend you use a program called Notepad++ to edit these files.
In Notepad++, the strings will be grey.
For example, if I were to translate a string to Japanese:
Before
Code:
edu.cmu.cs.stage3.alice.core.question.ask.AskUserForNumber : "ask user for a number <<question>>",
edu.cmu.cs.stage3.alice.core.question.ask.AskUserYesNo : "ask user for yes or no <<question>>",
edu.cmu.cs.stage3.alice.core.question.ask.AskUserForString : "ask user for a string <<question>>",
After
Code:
edu.cmu.cs.stage3.alice.core.question.ask.AskUserForNumber : "ユーザーから数に聞く <<question>>",
edu.cmu.cs.stage3.alice.core.question.ask.AskUserYesNo : "ユーザーから「はい」と「いいえ」に聞く <<question>>",
edu.cmu.cs.stage3.alice.core.question.ask.AskUserForString : "ユーザーからストリングにきく <<question>>",
And save it.

Some things to take note of are:
Leave the quotation marks in there
Don't change anything with arrows ("<" ">") or brackets "[" "]" around it.

To edit the Alice tutorial, they are located in "Alice 2.2\Required\tutorial"
as .stl files.
These .stl files are written in XML style.
Before:
Code:
<stencil title="About the Alice Tutorial" stepsToGoBack="1">
    <stateCapsule>
      <![CDATA[existantElements|?|nonExistantElements|?|propertyValues|?|elementPositions|?|]]>
    </stateCapsule>
    <note type="null" hasNext="true" xPos="0.006782945736434108" yPos="0.0945945945945946">
      <id>
	<![CDATA[null]]>
      </id>
      <message>
	<![CDATA[Welcome to the Alice Tutorial! This tutorial will introduce you to the basics of Alice.]]>
      </message>
      <message>
	<![CDATA[Click "next" to move to the next step in the tutorial.]]>
      </message>
    </note>
  </stencil>
After:
Code:
<stencil title="アリスのチュートリアルについて" stepsToGoBack="1">
    <stateCapsule>
      <![CDATA[existantElements|?|nonExistantElements|?|propertyValues|?|elementPositions|?|]]>
    </stateCapsule>
    <note type="null" hasNext="true" xPos="0.006782945736434108" yPos="0.0945945945945946">
      <id>
	<![CDATA[null]]>
      </id>
      <message>
	<![CDATA[アリスのチュートリアルにようこそ!このチュートリアルはアリスの初歩にしょうかいします。]]>
      </message>
      <message>
	<![CDATA[続けるために「次へ」をクリックして下さい]]>
      </message>
    </note>
  </stencil>
Continues in similar style.

Translating Alice
Old
djslater107
Administrator

Default Translating Alice - 07-21-2012, 08:26 AM

Previous posts do a very nice job of explaining the process of changing Alice to other languages, but note that these modifications will not affect the gallery. Each model in the gallery, and each of the model's sub-parts has to be individually translated.

For those who would be interested in taking on this task, let me know and I can send you a document explaining the process.

August 3 we will be releasing new version of Alice, Alice 2.3, which has a Spanish language option. This means that you will be able to use Alice in Spanish by choosing an option in preferences. Thanks to our partners in Costa Rica, the gallery will also be in Spanish.

Let us know if you would

Don Slater
Alice Team
Carnegie Mellon University

Re: Translating Alice
Old
edem

Default Re: Translating Alice - 07-23-2012, 10:26 AM

I would be interested to help translate Alice in French. Feel free to email me if there is such project in the works.

Quote:
Originally Posted by djslater107 View Post
Previous posts do a very nice job of explaining the process of changing Alice to other languages, but note that these modifications will not affect the gallery. Each model in the gallery, and each of the model's sub-parts has to be individually translated.

For those who would be interested in taking on this task, let me know and I can send you a document explaining the process.

August 3 we will be releasing new version of Alice, Alice 2.3, which has a Spanish language option. This means that you will be able to use Alice in Spanish by choosing an option in preferences. Thanks to our partners in Costa Rica, the gallery will also be in Spanish.

Let us know if you would

Tags
kids french locale