Alice Community  

Go Back   Alice Community > General Discussion > The Lounge

Assignment 3
Old
Kirk MacLean

Default Assignment 3 - 09-16-2016, 10:13 AM

I have the mummy slowly walk towards the pharaoh and the pharaoh does some arm movements and the mummy face plants. This assignment was a little bit challenging for me. And I really only had problems with one aspect of it - Making that mummy walk. I played with the legs and movement for sooo long trying to make it look somewhat natural. I originally wanted him to walk more like a zombie with one leg being dragged behind him but quickly realized the walking motions are a little bit harder than i anticipated. The problem I was having was when the mummy would walk his legs would end up getting detached and move way farther then the mummy itself. So for every 5 meters the legs would be 10 meters when the upper body would only be 5 meters. I was able to use a couple youtube videos and I even came to the Alice Forum posts to look for some answers on how to make the walking look more natural and was able to create something that worked. I was also having problems including some sounds. I could not get them to run as long as I wanted and at the exact time I wanted they were usually delayed a little bit.

Old
lucyrn99

Default 09-16-2016, 04:40 PM

Hi Kirk,

Glad you got your mummy to walk, after lots of time and configuration efforts.

I think that would've looked great, to have the mummy drag one of his legs behind him, zombie-like. I have no idea how to make that happen, though!

I had some issues with the sounds, too. It was simple enough to make the sound happen while my mummy fell backwards, but for some reason the sound seemed to interfere with his fall. While my sound effect played, my mummy fell backwards partway, stopped falling momentarily, then continued to fall the rest of the way. I played around with that aspect for awhile, then finally gave up and said it was as good as it was going to get.

I'm sure as we get more proficient from week to week, the challenges we had from earlier assignments will be a piece of cake!

Assignment 3
Old
Mauricio

Default Assignment 3 - 09-17-2016, 04:09 PM

Kirt,

I also had difficulty with getting the mummy to walk naturally, so I borrowed the speed parameter from the book, I set the mummy’s walk like it was marching and then use the move at speed method and added the speed parameter, synchronize the time with the speed and each leg going up and down and I was able to make it walk. The walk does not look as natural as it should be but it seemed to have done the trick. I agree with you the mummy walk seemed to have been the hardest part of the whole program.

Last edited by Mauricio; 09-17-2016 at 04:13 PM.