Alice Community  

Go Back   Alice Community > Alice 2 > How do I...?

group objects in the world tree
Old
Jabberwocky

Default group objects in the world tree - 05-03-2006, 11:19 PM

I'd like to organize my objects in the World Tree pane into groups (create folders and put objects under them). I've tried unziping the world and manually editing the elementData.xml files but it's tedious and I really have no idea what I'm doing so I'm getting mixed results.

Grouping objects in the world tree
Old
scooper

Default Grouping objects in the world tree - 05-10-2006, 08:12 AM

I am not sure if the following solves your problem.... In the world tree, right mouse click somewhere on the white space. Then select "Create New Group". You can right mouse click on the group folder to give it a more meaningful name. You can then drag the objects into the group. Please note that is for organizational purposes only. For example, you cannot create a method for a group you created.

Steve

hiding in plain site!
Old
Jabberwocky

Default hiding in plain site! - 05-10-2006, 05:22 PM

Thanks! I'm amazed at how many times the simpilest things have stumped me. I guess I'm just making too many assumptions or just over thinking problems. Looking in the Object Tree the World object is in the root; I expected the option, to create a group, to be there or either in the File pulldown.

I've got a rather large project I need to organize. Thanks again!!

Old
Sp00ky

Cool 11-11-2010, 09:16 PM

Once a group is created, is it possible to work with the group instead of with the individual objects?

For instance, I created 6 "squares" (Web gallery > Shapes > Square), applied a texture to them and grouped them in the world tree.
But I would like to move them "grouped" on the map, or to duplicate the six "squares" together and I can't...
I can only select the single squares.

(the group is quite useless... the only new thing I can do is delete them together... woaw...)

(using Alice 2.2)