Alice Community  

Go Back   Alice Community > Alice 2 > Bugs and Troubleshooting

Alice won't run
Old
taylorc41

Default Alice won't run - 04-29-2009, 08:54 PM

I just downloaded Alice 2.2 on an hp laptop with windows vista and unzipped the file, and supposedly it extracted perfectly. however, every time I try to run the program, absolutely nothing happens. There isn't even an error message. Any ideas?

Alice won't run - if unzipped by Vista
Old
hgs

Default Alice won't run - if unzipped by Vista - 05-01-2009, 07:13 PM

You need to use something other than Vista's unzip tool to unpack it. 7-zip is good (handles gzip files, and tar files (from Unix, linux) as well for one thing). See this thread for supporting evidence:

http://www.alice.org/community/showt...ighlight=vista

Also, Vista's unzip tool, at least before I gave up using it, was incredibly slow. I don't recall noticing updates for it.

You can get 7-zip from http://www.7-zip.org/

As usual, do a bit of research to be sure this is legitimate; you don't know who I am.

Hope this helps.

Alice won't run - Filzip
Old
taylorc41

Default Alice won't run - Filzip - 05-01-2009, 08:12 PM

Thanks, but I used Filzip, which has been used frequently on this PC for zipping and unzipping. It seems to have broken out the various folders correctly.

However, I did notice that the Alice.exe was only 60KB. It seems small. Is that correct?

Any other thoughts on why Alice might not run?

Old
DrJim

Default 05-03-2009, 12:29 PM

I would really try 7-zip. Personally it has always given me the most success and there are some Alice files that Vista unzip just doesn't seem to handle. (I've never tried filzip - so can't comment there.) The results do not seem consistant from machine to machine either.

It does look like you are missing something, however. The .exe file for Alice 2.0 is 68KB and 2.2 did add quite a bit for the video output. I also don't have Alice 2.2 on the laptop I'm using right now, so I can't say for sure.