Alice Community  

Go Back   Alice Community > Alice 2 > Share Objects

Modified MiG-29
Old
Mr Kidnapper

Default Modified MiG-29 - 04-13-2011, 01:27 AM

As Arty-FishL's database seems to be still not working, I'll just post it here for now.
This is the MiG-29, incorrectly referred to as the "Harrier" from the "untextured plane" thread from quite some time ago.
I got somewhat annoyed at the model itself—the subobjects were horrendous. Some parts from completely different areas were considered one object, the missiles were completely unusable, and seemingly worst of all was that when I attempted to make a flight sim with it, it just did not work. This is actually often the case with Alice Objects that are imported from games—they may look good but you can't use them for scheiße.
For more information about the object itself, check the object's methods.
Anyways, onto the specifications:

Gah. Every image host neutralizes the gray and makes the picture blindingly white.
Smaller than original model (By ~554KB)
Untextured MiG-29 (Frame itself is somewhat inaccurate. Nothing I could do about that.)
Fully operational landing gear (albeit inaccurate)
Fully operational and slightly accurate windshield
Programmable, highly accurately modeled missiles (Each are their own objects)
To rotate on proper axis, rotate using the Body's axis, not the entire object's.
34,364 Polys
36,131 Tris (Like polys, but only three points)
52,808 Edges
18,517 Vertices
Can Run On Shitty School Computer: Yes
Alice Compatible Object: Yes

An Alice Compatible Object is a class of object that I thought up today. Considering Alice's limits, there ought to be guidelines for people who export game files into Alice. This MiG-29 model is what I believe to be a great example of an Alice Compatible Object.
1. Every individual part that can (In real life) be moved should be able to without resorting to "ghetto fixes" such as creating dummy objects where pivot points should be. Naturally immobile elements in the model are exceptions.
2. Subparts are organized in an appropriate and meaningful manner
Exemplar: I do not want to see every little subobject lined up nice and neat in the first subobject level. Especially if there are more than ten.
3. Pivot points are appropriately placed and angled. This is the most important part. We cannot have it like the Tomahawk where it oddly spins around the tip of the handle instead of the center.

As always, 3ds Max file for all those interested. http://www.mediafire.com/?cg3tbctatxrcd8m
Attached Files
File Type: a2c MiG-29.a2c (933.3 KB, 50 views)
File Type: a2c AA-8 Aphid.a2c (13.7 KB, 25 views)
File Type: a2c AA-10 Alamo.a2c (13.2 KB, 29 views)
File Type: a2c AA-11 Archer.a2c (13.2 KB, 27 views)

Last edited by Mr Kidnapper; 04-13-2011 at 08:16 PM.

Old
x2495iiii
Super Moderator

Default 04-13-2011, 03:37 AM

Haha...German.

Anyway, excellent model. Nice work.

Old
arty-fishL

Arrow 04-13-2011, 08:16 AM

This is very nice . I love "Alice Compatible" objects. Thankyou. My only criticism is - the way it has been made makes it almost impossible to texture, setting a texture only sets a colour.

Sorry the AODb is down, it seems all Heliohost accounts are down right now, I was thinking of switching to x10hosting, but when I try try login to cPanel there I get alerted that their security certificate is invalid.

█░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
█░░▓░░░░░░░▓░░░░░░░░░░░▓▓░░▓░░░░░░▓░░░▓░░░░█
█░▓░▓░▓▓▓░▓▓▓░▓░▓░░░░░░▓▒▒░░▒░░▓▓░▓▓▓░▓▒░░░█
█░▓▓▓▒▓▒▒▒░▓▒▒▓▓▓▒▓▓▓░▓▓▓░░▓░░░▓▒▒▓▒▓▒▓▒░░░█
█░▓▒▓▒▓▒░░░▓▓░░▒▓▒░▒▒▒░▓▒▒░▓▓░▓▓▒░▓▒▓▒▓▒░░░█
█░▓▒▓▒░▒░░░░▒▒▓▓▓▒░░░░▓▓▒░░░▒▒░▒▒░░▒░▒▓▓▓░░█
█░░▒░▒░░░░░░░░░▒▒▒░░░░░▒▒░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▒▒▒░█

I have mostly moved on from Alice, but may still respond to messages if important [¬º-°]¬

Old
jorgebh95

Default 04-13-2011, 01:06 PM

preety cool and it could put it on mw2

Old
Mr Kidnapper

Default 04-13-2011, 01:22 PM

I just noticed that the pivot points are badly angled. I shame myself! *腹切り* Time to edit again.

Old
arty-fishL

Question 04-13-2011, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Kidnapper View Post
腹切り
Something to do with Samurais committing honourable suicide??

I have mostly moved on from Alice, but may still respond to messages if important [¬º-°]¬

Old
arty-fishL

Default 04-13-2011, 05:36 PM

The AODb is back up, you can upload it if you want; I would, but I'm extremely busy. Hopefully it wont be back down, if this problem persists then I will swap hosts.

Old
Mr Kidnapper

Default 04-13-2011, 08:15 PM

MiG-29 is fully operational. xforms have been reset so that it shows true pivot point location. You must still use the body instead of the object itself to achieve an appropriate turning angle. Retracting and Extending Landing Gear has been perfected—there was a glitch where the Front Landing Gear strayed from its original position. All pivot points now use the appropriate direction (Some of them were somewhat backwards and sideways.)
Missile firing still must be programmed yourself. This is due to the realistic firing pattern of missiles—I have deemed it impossible to isolate missile firing to the object itself. It must be done within a world file or no dice.

Documentation on Landing Gear Glitch:
I believe what caused the glitch to happen wass that I made it so the landing gear is raised into the undercarriage somewhat (Because they are IRL.) and rotated into the retracted position at the same time. Due to this, Alice moves the landing gear's position in a circular clockwise motion. However, the circle never completes due to the method's nature and becomes more like whacky stair steps.
The fix was to create a PointOfView variable on the MiG and to set the point of view to the landing gear before any movement is made. Then set the landing gear's point of view to the variable at the end of the method, as it would not seem to work anywhere else. Fortune for not having to use any external objects. I'd have to thank Google and Dr. Jim for this.

I maintain the reason why it is so hard to texture—at least for Alice— is that if you look at pictures of air show planes, or any plane for that matter, is that the paintjob isn't isolated to any one area of an object. The only way to texture this plane properly is to use Photoshop. The 3ds Max file has been supplied, you only need to create a reasonable UV Map and texture it. I am of no help with this matter (My photoshop is broken.)
Uploaded to artyfish's databse. Mediafire link and objects updated.

Last edited by Mr Kidnapper; 04-13-2011 at 08:40 PM.

Old
arty-fishL

Thumbs up 04-14-2011, 02:58 AM

Quote:
Unfortunately ArtyFishL's database seems to be still missing the add objects page.
Oh, sorry about that, I restructured my website and forgot to update all of the links.

How did you manage to add it in the end? I thought I hadn't publicly posted the link (this link) anywhere.

This is a really advanced, well done model. You're not even a senior member yet, but even ever since you joined your answers and projects have been quite sophisticated. Good work .

Old
room14

Default 04-14-2011, 04:12 AM

Killing yourself by cutting your guts is no way to die. Disembowelment is just horrifying

:D