Alice Community  

Go Back   Alice Community > General Discussion > Questions and Comments

Problem importing a model with multiple materials. Help please!
Old
n00bst3r

Unhappy Problem importing a model with multiple materials. Help please! - 03-20-2011, 07:25 AM

Hi, after spending quite a while creating a 3D level for a game using Google Sketchup 8, I did the normal export as .dae, imported it to Blender, resized it, exported as a .obj, then converted it to a .ase using Biturn, ready to make my object in Alice. However, I get an error; 'An Unknown Error Has Occured' Exception in thread "AWT-EventQueue-0" edu.cmu.cs.stage3.alice.core.IllegalNameValueExcep tion: We're sorry, but names in Alice may not be empty.
and nothing imports.
However, I noticed in Blender, my object was separated into multiple pieces, so i saved the main piece and called it something different. This opened up fine in Alice.

The object with multiple pieces came up with
*MATERIAL_LIST {
*MATERIAL_COUNT 8
and the object with just the main came up with
*MATERIAL_LIST {
*MATERIAL_COUNT 1
when opened in MS Word.

Is there a way I can group all my objects together to make my material count 1 so it will open in Alice?

There is no way I can piece together the thing inside alice, as there are many parts and they are all pieces of walls/floor/details.

Any help or suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thanks, n00bst3r.

Tags
materials blender biturn