Alice Community  

Go Back   Alice Community > Alice 2 > Bugs and Troubleshooting

page 24 of tutorial 1 doesnt work
Old
linuxOwnAllUFreedomHaterz

Default page 24 of tutorial 1 doesnt work - 04-09-2008, 01:43 PM

page 24 of tutorial 1 doesnt work

I am unable to drag and drop the spin or whatever action to the lower right side.
I can right click copy the existing spin but since you can't change the box properties to some other action you are stuck.

I even try exiting the tutorial and doing it from normal editing mode and it still doesn't allow drag and drop.

Note that the mouse cursor changes to something that looks like it will add to a list but when you let go of mouse button it doesn't add anything more to the list.
I tried different places to drag and drop to and none work.

Last edited by linuxOwnAllUFreedomHaterz; 04-09-2008 at 01:46 PM.

Old
lanceA

Default 04-09-2008, 07:39 PM

Can you be more specific about which Tutorial you are referring to? The Alice program comes with several tutorials included, the book by Dann, et.al contains tutorials, etc.

I'm sure some one can provide help if we know specifically which tutorial is causing you problems.

Sorry if I am overlooking something here

Last edited by lanceA; 04-09-2008 at 07:42 PM. Reason: clarification

tutorial 1 about the alice tutorial
Old
linuxOwnAllUFreedomHaterz

Default tutorial 1 about the alice tutorial - 04-12-2008, 01:32 AM

page 24 of tutorial 1 about the alice tutorial

Having a problem like that of topic
Old
veneratio1

Default Having a problem like that of topic - 05-21-2009, 07:55 PM

2.2 installed on MAC OSX - iBookG4
2.2 installed on windows XP - Dell Shitower PentiumIII
Tutorial 1 Step 31 of 40
Error:
"The Alice tutorial thinks maybe you didn't follow the instructions carefully.
Please back up to your mistake or restart."

(this step cannot be skipped, nor can tutorial 2 be started >,<
hence I am forced to watch this program mock my inability yet the step is plain and simple.)

Step includes the following instructions:
*... ... or not..... on the other PC, trying to document the problem. But the program has frozen once on the windows XP crashbox and twice on the Mac while trying to get through this post.

I am abandoning the 3 hours I've spent:
*reading where to start,
*choosing a direction, (new to programming, Alice came highly advised)
*downloading the program while reading masses of starting material,
*opening and starting the tutorial.

I'm sure the problem is these old machines I'm working on. But your system requirements boasted much lower stats.

Alice belongs in wonderland until it can work out these bugs.

-grrrrr
PS: software can't even close on the MAC... Still having issues... please imagine this complaint is 5 miles longer and worded much hotter!

Old
DrJim

Default 05-22-2009, 12:39 PM

I haven't run the tutorials in a long time - but one thing I do remember is that, even for Alice 2.0, it was difficult with some of them to get them to recognize a valid mouse click, especially on older machines. (As you so clearly put it - grrrr!)

With the additional graphics capabilities in 2.2, the problem might even be worse. It would seem you have three options (1) try Alice 2.0 - or even slow and steady Alice - and see if those work better (2) experiment with various mouse click speeds and cursor location during the click or (3) just give up on the tutorials that are giving the problems.

tutorial trouble
Old
pahke

Unhappy tutorial trouble - 01-20-2010, 03:25 AM

veneratio1, you are not alone. I have MAC OSX 10.5.8 and I received that error message when I tried to complete Page 31 of 40 of Tutorial 1, after reordering the world methods and dragging "IceSkater.do simple spin" after "IceSkater.skate"

The message - "The Alice tutorial thinks maybe you didn't follow the instructions carefully. Please back up to your mistake or restart." - continues to pop up every time I restart the tutorial, even though I ensure that I complete the tasks correctly.

Is there anything I can do to complete the tutorial, or anywhere I can find the information I would have learned from it? I am new to Alice and would like to have a strong understanding of the fundamentals.

Old
x2495iiii
Super Moderator

Default 01-20-2010, 11:35 AM

Dick Bladwin has made a pretty nice line of guides for Alice on this site:

http://www.dickbaldwin.com/tocalice.htm

You can skip "100 Getting Started," because it mostly tells you how to install Alice and that the tutorials and example worlds are helpful. Since you seem to have it installed fine and the tutorials aren't working well for you, you can try running the example worlds, but other than that you can skip to the second lesson.

(')>