Alice Community  

Go Back   Alice Community > Alice 2 > How do I...?

Making Models into Alice
Old
vazin

Default Making Models into Alice - 11-10-2008, 12:46 PM

I am new to Alice. Here is a way I have figured to create new models in Alice. Of course there may be several ways. But I made this this using open source kind of tools

a) Download a neat little app called "anim8or" (www.anim8or.com"). This app is like Alice. Doesnt need to install. Just unzip and run
b)a little bit of tweaking around you will know how to create objects, apply great texture, create positions for objects etc. Once you have made the object, export it as ".3ds). Then use Biturn and convert it into .ASE
c)Import this ASE file into Alice.

Here is 2 models that I could export. The good part is anim80r gives very good opportunity to create models using several things like extrusion, slicing, etc.
Attached Files
File Type: a2w ExportShow.a2w (180.8 KB, 70 views)

Old
DrJim

Default 11-12-2008, 04:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vazin View Post

c)Import this ASE file into Alice.
I also like anim8or for creating new objects for Alice - and your examples show the strength of that approach.

One trick, originally discovered by ShadowSovreign, is to import the .ase files as textures (somewhat strange, but it works) for an Alice object or sub-object. You could import one of your spheres as a texture for a person's hand, for example, and it would come in as a ball sub-object for the person.

Also - though I haven't tested this in detail - each textured region in anim8or generally comes in as a seperate sub-object in the import hierarchy. Thus you can map multiple textures to a single imported object. (Please note that, though I've done this several times - I'm not sure what, if any, limits there are on this approach. You'll just have to experiment.)

Anim8or / 3D Font example
Old
DrJim

Default Anim8or / 3D Font example - 11-12-2008, 05:10 AM

As a followup, I attached a work-in-progress file (actually abandoned) of an animation using an object created in anim8or (the sack) as well as some 3D font objects using TrueText fonts from the web.

Not very good - didn't actually get very far on this for other reasons - but it does show what can be imported.
Attached Files
File Type: a2w Sack Test.a2w (599.3 KB, 59 views)

making models
Old
vazin

Default making models - 11-14-2008, 01:20 PM

thank you Dr Jim. That was informative