Alice Community  

Go Back   Alice Community > General Discussion > Questions and Comments

How to run the same method multiple times, simultaneously?
Old
Qazzquimby

Default How to run the same method multiple times, simultaneously? - 11-01-2013, 08:25 PM

Basically the title. I'm using 2.3.5 if it matters.
When an event is run, it normally waits until it's complete before running again. Is there a way to get around that, and have it run whenever triggered, even if it's already running?

Run the same event
Old
djslater107
Administrator

Default Run the same event - 11-02-2013, 09:11 AM

In Alice 2, this is not easily done... Alice 3 actually has modifiers in its events that would allow this action to happen...

I do not know if this will help, but if you right click on the key press event or the mouse click event (when key is presses, when mouse is clicked), the drop down menu gives you a choice to "change to" so that these events can become "while key is pressed", "while mouse is held"

Don Slater
Alice Team
Carnegie Mellon University

Old
Qazzquimby

Default 11-02-2013, 05:35 PM

I've tried that and while it allows the method to run multiple times, it causes a lot of strange problems, including that instance of the method stopping as soon as you release the key.

It seems like a really fundamental thing. Is there a good example of a project with a work around?

Try this for your problem
Old
clk4suport

Default Try this for your problem - 11-22-2013, 02:48 AM

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/8...sly-in-c-sharp

Please try link i think it may help you.

There is always a way
Old
MrMoke

Smile There is always a way - 11-24-2013, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qazzquimby View Post
I've tried that and while it allows the method to run multiple times, it causes a lot of strange problems, including that instance of the method stopping as soon as you release the key.

It seems like a really fundamental thing. Is there a good example of a project with a work around?
First: It's difficult to answer such a general request. If you're talking about recursion, then Yes Alice can do that.

Next: The "While a key is pressed" option, can call Begin:, During:, and End: methods. An example would be B:Turn the front wheels on a vehicle slightly to the right, D:Turn vehicle slightly right as long as key is pressed, E:Straighten wheels out again.

Lastly: What specifically was it that you had in mind?