Alice Community  

Go Back   Alice Community > Alice 2 > How do I...?

projectile launch and reset (solved), ground collision(solved) and a list issue
Old
Thrashchild

Default projectile launch and reset (solved), ground collision(solved) and a list issue - 12-06-2011, 04:47 PM

in my world, the player test pilots a used jumpjet. i have all the controls figured out for flight, but i cannot figure out how to launch a projectile ahead of the ship and have it reset after a given time period. the object remains invisible until the key is pressed to fire, in which case the projectile moves upward rather than forward.

the second issue i'm having is when the jet collides with the ground. each time i test the crash, the program crashes. if anyone can take a look at my world it would greatly help me in retaining what little of my sanity remains from trying to figure this out.

steps to getting into the pilot seat...
1) when asked if you "see anything you like" click yes
2) when viewing the ships, choose the green jumpjet
Attached Files
File Type: a2w commercialevents.a2w (10.92 MB, 6 views)

Last edited by Thrashchild; 12-07-2011 at 08:19 PM.

Old
Thrashchild

Default 12-06-2011, 09:44 PM

33 freakin views and not one response...? wtf

Old
arty-fishL

Arrow 12-07-2011, 04:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrashchild View Post
33 freakin views and not one response...? wtf
With that attitude you should be surprised to get any views.

You cant get worked up if there are no replies within the first half of the first day, calm down.

█░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
█░░▓░░░░░░░▓░░░░░░░░░░░▓▓░░▓░░░░░░▓░░░▓░░░░█
█░▓░▓░▓▓▓░▓▓▓░▓░▓░░░░░░▓▒▒░░▒░░▓▓░▓▓▓░▓▒░░░█
█░▓▓▓▒▓▒▒▒░▓▒▒▓▓▓▒▓▓▓░▓▓▓░░▓░░░▓▒▒▓▒▓▒▓▒░░░█
█░▓▒▓▒▓▒░░░▓▓░░▒▓▒░▒▒▒░▓▒▒░▓▓░▓▓▒░▓▒▓▒▓▒░░░█
█░▓▒▓▒░▒░░░░▒▒▓▓▓▒░░░░▓▓▒░░░▒▒░▒▒░░▒░▒▓▓▓░░█
█░░▒░▒░░░░░░░░░▒▒▒░░░░░▒▒░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▒▒▒░█
█░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█

I have mostly moved on from Alice, but may still respond to messages if important [¬º-°]¬

Old
dakota95

Default 12-07-2011, 08:19 AM

Quote:
in my world, the player test pilots a used jumpjet. i have all the controls figured out for flight, but i cannot figure out how to launch a projectile ahead of the ship and have it reset after a given time period. the object remains invisible until the key is pressed to fire, in which case the projectile moves upward rather than forward.
have you tried making it move forward "as seen by jumpjet"? Then it will shoot where ever the jumpjet is pointing. Then say wait for"x" seconds and move to"juniper" in "0 sec" if you want it to move back to the same exact place, place a dummy where it starts

<Insert_Signature_Here>

Old
Thrashchild

Default 12-07-2011, 08:39 AM

thanks dakota. i'll try that out as soon as i make it back to the house. i thought i had tried something similar to that but i'll certainly give it another go.

Old
dakota95

Default 12-07-2011, 09:15 AM

here.

the only problem is that it shoots twice in a row with one button press.
Attached Files
File Type: a2w commercialevents fix.a2w (10.87 MB, 2 views)

<Insert_Signature_Here>

Old
Thrashchild

Default 12-07-2011, 05:52 PM

i edited my original method to incorporate your idea and it works great. did you happen to take a look at the ground collision?

Old
dakota95

Cool 12-07-2011, 06:31 PM

Quote:
i edited my original method to incorporate your idea and it works great. did you happen to take a look at the ground collision?
I looked at it, on my computer it all works perfectly. Well, if what you want is for the ship to explode and for fire to engulf it, it worked perfectly. I find't see any other problems.

<Insert_Signature_Here>

Old
Thrashchild

Default 12-07-2011, 07:32 PM

yea it works right some of the time. other times i make it through the ground before it blows or it will explode about 3-5 meters above the ground. i am nearly done with this. the last thing i am having trouble figuring out is how to signal the meteors in my list to be removed when the cannon hits one. i can't figure out if the issue is in the list or in the "within threshold" cues. you have been a massive help thus far. is there anyway you could take one last look at this? if you happen to live in NC i'll make you some brownies or something. haha

i have the method for the asteroidDestroy under my cone object. the method for moving them is under my world. i have disabled the final event until i can sort this out.
Attached Files
File Type: a2w commercialevents.a2w (11.03 MB, 4 views)

Old
dakota95

Default 12-14-2011, 02:45 PM

Quote:
yea it works right some of the time. other times i make it through the ground before it blows or it will explode about 3-5 meters above the ground. i am nearly done with this. the last thing i am having trouble figuring out is how to signal the meteors in my list to be removed when the cannon hits one. i can't figure out if the issue is in the list or in the "within threshold" cues. you have been a massive help thus far. is there anyway you could take one last look at this? if you happen to live in NC i'll make you some brownies or something. haha

i have the method for the asteroidDestroy under my cone object. the method for moving them is under my world. i have disabled the final event until i can sort this out.
I haven't looked at it yet but here is what I assume the problem is. Did you put the 'asteroid destroy' method in an infinite loop? If not it won't work. One of the problems with Alice is that the ground detection is really poor. What works best for the ground detection is saying if asteroid is below ground ' do whatever'

If you have any other questions feel free to ask.

<Insert_Signature_Here>