Alice Community  

Go Back   Alice Community > General Discussion > Questions and Comments

Alice Malfunctions?
Old
Pursued by Bears

Unhappy Alice Malfunctions? - 01-12-2010, 09:21 AM

Hello, Alice community.
Okay, so my question is, why does Alice keep closing when I'm half way through finishing my program, so that I lose everything?
I'm a new user to the Alice website, and although I have some experience in computer programming (via a curriculum which instructed me through Python and HTML), I am new to Alice. I find that it is much easier to use and learn from, but still, I have this problem and I cannot figure out how to fix it. Is anyone else having this problem? And if so, have you figured out how to solve it? Please let me know!

Old
Pursued by Bears

Default 01-13-2010, 08:18 AM

Does anyone know why Alice keeps shutting down on me?

Old
x2495iiii
Super Moderator

Default 01-13-2010, 08:54 AM

That's one of those unpredictable bugs that could happen for a variety of reasons. Your copy of Alice could be bad (re-installing might fix this), your world could be too large (try to keep it under 20mb if possible), there could be a corrupt resource in your world (like a bad sound or picture, if you've imported any), and you computer may not be handling Alice properly (my oldest computer ran XP and had a habit of closing Alice halfway when background applications, like an internet browser, were running).

(')>

Re: Alice Malfunctions
Old
Pursued by Bears

Talking Re: Alice Malfunctions - 01-14-2010, 02:51 PM

Hello, x2495iiii.
Thank you very much for your advice.
As for my response (to your suggestions), going in order from what you listed...;
I will try re-installing; I hadn't thought of that. Thanks!
My worlds aren't usually very large. It's about halfway into the world (when I'm done adding all the objects, and all meaning the very few I use), and have started working on the actions that they do, does it crash. Usually it crashes after I click Play, to preview my work thus far.
I haven't imported any sounds yet, having not needed too.
My computer (a Toshiba Windows Vista Premium laptop) is fairly new, and is very compatible. Up until a few days after I got the Alice program downloaded, it was running fine when Alice was up, but now Alice keeps shutting down on me. Also, I don't usually have other windows up when I'm running Alice.

Thank you for your advice!

easy explination
Old
dmitchell

Cool easy explination - 02-01-2010, 05:07 PM

alice is a memory hog that is its biggest issue.adding to much can cause this issue. you cannot have two alices open at once nor can you have a alice and a diffrent program open.these are sme of the most common issues.but do try t reinsatal for that works a lot to.also a laptop has a smaller procceser than that of a regular computer. alice is known not to work to well on laptops. it crashes easier because of the lack of "space" the processor has.pm any questions

Tags
closing, losing, malfunctions, progress