Alice Community  

Go Back   Alice Community > Alice 2 > Share Worlds

Variable Tutorial for beginners
Old
jediaction

Default Variable Tutorial for beginners - 01-31-2010, 03:04 PM

JEDIACTION

This is a tutorial for anyone who wants to know how to use number variables in Alice. If you have any other tutorials that you would like me to make, I would be happy to. Please enjoy
Attached Files
File Type: a2w Variable tutorial.a2w (213.8 KB, 112 views)

FaceBook: www.facebook.com/SalokinGames

Last edited by jediaction; 03-12-2010 at 03:28 PM.

Old
jediaction

Default 02-01-2010, 10:17 AM

IF you download it and saw it. PLEASE COMMENT. it says 4 downloads and no comment. I do not appreciate that

Old
x2495iiii
Super Moderator

Default 02-01-2010, 12:25 PM

I checked it out, it's nice but it's sort of like trying to study from textbooks: you have to keep switching back and forth between the two to get the full experience (because you can't see or interact with the Alice environment as you play the tutorial). I was actually asked to make a similar tutorial with Alice screenshots, but you know how I am sometimes.

Anyway, I'm glad someone was able to start making tutorials. If these go over well, maybe you could make more of them on other subject, like parameters and seldom used properties.

If you feel like taking over the tutorials with screenshots project or feel like helping me out with it, I'd love that. Or I could also help you out with your idea if you prefer.

A third idea could be to work with the Alice based software that meirs just released called Mama. It actually features a tutorial creator that instructors can use to create customized tutorials or to improve on the pre-included ones. I haven't tested that feature myself yet, but the software is solid and I expect it will work wonderfully (you can download a 30-day full version of it here: http://www.eytam.com/mama after the trial expires, you can buy the full version for 10 bucks).

When I get the chance, I'll post what I have so far with the first tutorial so you can see what I mean. Right now I'm on my laptop.

(')>

Old
jediaction

Default 02-01-2010, 01:18 PM

Yah, i would like to help with tutorials. I want to have like tutorials on everything you can think of

Old
AmoebaMan

Default 02-08-2010, 07:41 PM

I'm trying to get a variable to be used in two different methods, but so far i've found it impossible. could anyone help me out?

Old
zonedabone

Default 02-08-2010, 07:51 PM

You'll want to make a world level variable. Under the world's properties, click add new variable. Define it as you would an event variable. Use as normal!

'Apple Macintosh' - An anagram of 'Complaints Heap'

M.A.C.I.N.T.O.S.H. - Machine Always Crashes, If Not, The Operating System Hangs.

You're *such* a mac person.

Old
jediaction

Default 02-08-2010, 08:49 PM

My tutorial should help. Just twist thewords around. I can help.

Old
meirs

Default 02-15-2010, 08:54 PM

jediaction,

If you want to make a tutorial, you might want to read this document, which explains about tutorial files format: http://www.eytam.com/mama/instructor

As explained there, Alice's tutorial is an XML file that you can edit with any text editor. There are minor differences between Alice's and Mama's formats, mainly in referencing certain items in the GUI (since Mama has added GUI components).

Or better, you could edit the tutorial interactively using Mama's tutorial editor (from the menu select Tools/tutorial editor), then save the file, and you could use it on Alice too - you'll only need to rename its extension from .mtl to .stl. Just remember not to reference any non-Alice GUI component.

Mama is an Alice On Steroids with YouTube uploader, 3d object creator, tutorial editor, and standalone support:
http://www.eytam.com/mama

Old
x2495iiii
Super Moderator

Default 02-16-2010, 04:31 AM

Thanks meirs, I was hoping something like that would come up. Now I can write those variable/parameter/seldom used property tutorials I've been meaning to finish much more easily. Awesome!

(')>

Old
jediaction

Default 02-16-2010, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meirs View Post
jediaction,

If you want to make a tutorial, you might want to read this document, which explains about tutorial files format: http://www.eytam.com/mama/instructor

As explained there, Alice's tutorial is an XML file that you can edit with any text editor. There are minor differences between Alice's and Mama's formats, mainly in referencing certain items in the GUI (since Mama has added GUI components).

Or better, you could edit the tutorial interactively using Mama's tutorial editor (from the menu select Tools/tutorial editor), then save the file, and you could use it on Alice too - you'll only need to rename its extension from .mtl to .stl. Just remember not to reference any non-Alice GUI component.
Well then, i might try that. Thanks!