Alice Community  

Go Back   Alice Community > Alice 2 > How do I...?

How do I Rotate the entire World
Old
MrMoke

Question How do I Rotate the entire World - 09-18-2007, 10:38 AM

I'm trying to setup Dummy Drops for several shots in a scene. Using the controls in the Add Objects pane is OK for the Standard zoom shots, but I would like to be able to rotate the entire World so that I can do a conversation between two characters without doing all the camera points, point of views, and moves in the scene.
I guess the question is "Can I rotate the entire World in the Add Objects pane to setup Dummy Drops from different directions?

Thanks

Mike

Old
Razzle

Default 09-18-2007, 10:46 AM

As far as I know, there is no simplistic way to "rotate" the world. If you are really against moving the camera around for various shots and angles, I would suggest setting all object's vehicles to the ground. That way you can just rotate the ground and have everything rotate in their same position. If you ask me however, simply moving the camera would be preferable, as the more objects you have the messier it gets.

That Works Fine
Old
MrMoke

Thumbs up That Works Fine - 09-18-2007, 07:57 PM

Thanks Razzle- That did make it easier. Here's what I was trying to do.

I was building a series of shots in a scene where 3 characters were standing in a circle talking to each other. Rather than generate all of the camera positioning on the fly for full frontal shots, I wanted to set them up as Dummies before the coding began including an extra Dummy for the whole scene. Basically, I made four dummies for four shot angles.

To choreograph the conversation all I then have to do is set the camera's point of view to the Dummy of the speaking character, and I'm there with a single statement. Back and forth with single lines of code. If you move the characters later it no longer works but for this long conversation scene it saved lots of coding.

I can now demo to my students how that specific camera method can be used to implement zooms and pans, as well quick cuts by setting the duration field of the camera.pointOfView method.

One thing that I didn't expect to see is the weird artifacts that remain for each Dummy. They don't show in the final cut, just the World View. They mark the Dummy placement, and I assume the green axis is the direction of the view.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Threesome.jpg (16.7 KB, 107 views)

Last edited by MrMoke; 09-19-2007 at 10:39 PM.

Old
DickBaldwin

Default 09-19-2007, 06:22 PM

I don't know if this will do what you want to do or not, but it seems like it may work.

If you establish the position of the camera relative to the center point of the world, and then turn the camera by some number of degrees "as seen by the world", the visual effect is as if you rotate the world around its center point.

Just in case you haven't used it yet, the "as seen by" parameter can be used to create a number of interesting visual effects. For some examples, go to the following URL and search for asseenby.

http://www.dickbaldwin.com/alice/Alice0900.htm

Dick Baldwin

Last edited by DickBaldwin; 09-19-2007 at 06:30 PM. Reason: Clarification

Thanks Guys
Old
MrMoke

Cool Thanks Guys - 09-19-2007, 10:36 PM

All great ides. Basically, I'm a lazy coder who was looking for a way to demo dummies with little or no camera coding for the shots. This is kind of what I wanted my students to see, so that they could play with the durations to see the difference between zooms and cuts by changing duration of the camera.setPointOfView.

Enjoy!
Attached Files
File Type: a2w TrollTech.a2w (3.62 MB, 248 views)