Alice Community  

Go Back   Alice Community > Alice 2 > How do I...?

Physics in alice
Old
mystz

Default Physics in alice - 11-16-2008, 10:23 PM

I am trying to make a interactive game with ramps including one with loops or even curves. I was wondering if it's possible to give the items density or to make it so that if i had like a skateboard and the ramp went up the skateboard board will go up the ramp while on the ramp and not just fly.

Old
DickBaldwin

Default 11-17-2008, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mystz View Post
I am trying to make a interactive game with ramps including one with loops or even curves. I was wondering if it's possible to give the items density or to make it so that if i had like a skateboard and the ramp went up the skateboard board will go up the ramp while on the ramp and not just fly.
If you understand physics and understand programming, you should be able to simulate most Newtonian physics situations by making small incremental movements on objects and setting the start and stop of each movement to abrupt. However, you may have to slow everything down. Otherwise, Alice may not be able to keep up.

You might want to start by simulating the trajectory of a projectile in a vacuum since that is one of the easier problems and it has a well-defined solution. Then move on to problems involving springs and masses.

Dick Baldwin
Free Alice tutorials: http://www.dickbaldwin.com/tocalice.htm
Free Scratch tutorials: http://www.dickbaldwin.com/tocHomeSchool.htm
Free Java/C#, etc. tutorials: http://www.dickbaldwin.com/toc.htm

Old
mystz

Default 11-17-2008, 05:01 PM

Will any improvements in alice speed be added in 3.0 becuase in many my collosion checks alice can't check fast enough = (

EDit:

Also how do i use any object in a method ?
Also is it possible to see the code/ edit predefined methods ?
Is it possible to make a method like move at speed towards ?
is it possible to make a angle turn until it is a certain degrees ?

Last edited by mystz; 11-17-2008 at 05:44 PM.

Old
DrJim

Default 11-22-2008, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mystz View Post
Will any improvements in alice speed be added in 3.0 becuase in many my collosion checks alice can't check fast enough = (
Make sure you don't leave the duration parameter at the default, which is one second, and the collision response should improve. The ultimate limit is probably going to be the screen refresh time, which I would guess is about 0.04 seconds (i.e., 24 fps refresh rate).