Alice Community  

Go Back   Alice Community > Alice 2 > How do I...?

I need detailed help on how to get a camera to follow a character!
Old
ilikemonkeys

Unhappy I need detailed help on how to get a camera to follow a character! - 06-09-2006, 10:27 PM

I dont know what you mean when people say to use the "vehicle method".

Old
lanceA

Default 06-09-2006, 10:32 PM

That is too broad a question. Why do you ask? Is it an assignment?

The vehicle property is used to synchronize movements of two objects.

Old
ilikemonkeys

Question 06-09-2006, 10:37 PM

Well I am going into High school in september, and my option is Computer Science were I will be using Alice. So right now I am playing around, I am having trouble with having a character moving around but it getting out of view of the camera, so I would like the camera to follow the character as it moves.

Old
lanceA

Default 06-09-2006, 10:56 PM

GREAT! Alice is an excellent tool for use as an introduction to Computer Science. I started using it the last trimester this year for my 9th grade. Not only did they all sign up for next year, I had 3 new females join!

I would NOT recommend Alice for any one wishing to 'make' games. It is a learning tool - MIGHT AND MAGIC V was not authored in Alice.

The biggest problem with Alice, and I am not sure that it is a problem, is that the documentation for Alice is not readily available. It is a teaching tool I commend you for wishing to learn it - my biggest problem now is that too many young people will bypass the 'learning' experience and simply opt to 'play games'.

Driver, where are you taking us?
Old
Jabberwocky

Default Driver, where are you taking us? - 06-10-2006, 12:40 AM

The vehicle method is where one object "rides" another object; or is attached to another like a lance to a knight perhaps.

Look at the example world called almostAllAboutAlice. The last sequence in the animation shows a chicken riding a bunny. If you'll look at the methods section of the World's details you'll see a method called Vehicles. In it you'll see a tile that says "bunny set vehicle to chicken". That's it.

In the details section of each object is a tile called "set vehicle". So if you wanted to have your bunny character ride your chicken. You would go to the bunny details and drag the "set vehicle" method into either the default method, world.my first method, or a new custom one you've created. You'll be prompted for what object to set it to and you'd select the chicken.

Often an object is the camera's vehicle or vice versa.

Have fun!

Last edited by Jabberwocky; 06-10-2006 at 12:46 AM.

Old
Jeremy

Default 06-13-2006, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lanceA
The biggest problem with Alice, and I am not sure that it is a problem, is that the documentation for Alice is not readily available. It is a teaching tool I commend you for wishing to learn it - my biggest problem now is that too many young people will bypass the 'learning' experience and simply opt to 'play games'.
I recommend you buy at least one copy of the textbook. It does give the instructor insight into how Alice should be taught. There are many undocumented (but working) features in Alice but I was able to write a semester curriculum once I had a copy of the book.

Old
cicatriz

Default 06-26-2006, 04:04 PM

Where can I find 'set vehical'? I looked under the object methods and didn't see anything. I can see where it's used in the example but not how to access it.

Old
gabe
Administrator

Default 06-26-2006, 04:14 PM

To set object1's vehicle to object2, drag object1 into the method editor and select "object1 set vehicle to" > "object2" from the drop down list that pops up. The set vehicle method is not listed under the object details methods so it's a little hard to find. It's actually listed under the object details properties.

Old
cicatriz

Default 06-26-2006, 04:58 PM

Great, thanks for the quick response.

Properties & Methods
Old
Jabberwocky

Default Properties & Methods - 06-26-2006, 07:22 PM

Yeah, I stated that wrong above, I was speaking from memory. What confused me is, if you right click on an object you will see "set vehicle" as a method. If you are looking in the Details window though it's under the Properties tab not the Methods tab and listed as "Vehicle" not "set vehicle".

On a similar note... a number of Properties have Set methods under the right-click menu, but a few like the isShowing property do not. This has confused me before.