Decent 3 33.33%
Below Average 1 11.11%
Horrible 1 11.11%
Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

Aiming
Old
dubastot

Default Aiming - 06-21-2009, 03:24 PM

Tell me what you think of this aiming with the mouse program. You just move the mouse around and the red dot aimer will follow.
Attached Files
File Type: a2w Aim with mouse.a2w (246.2 KB, 78 views)

Old
dubastot

Default 06-25-2009, 10:47 PM

I would also like written feedback so I know why it was good or bad.

It's okay.
Old
lpng

Talking It's okay. - 06-26-2009, 07:32 AM

It's okay but it is difficult to contorl.
It's make me feel dizzy too.

Old
onij

Default 07-22-2009, 11:35 PM

I am glad that you have created a way to have the mouse control the camera. I have been attempting something similar for over a week now with no success.

I have successfully used the arrow keys to substitute the looking ability of the mouse, and WASD keys for movement (I know this is 10x easier compared to your mouse method). Anyways, we seem to have run into the same problem with having the ability to freely look in any direction.

Whether using your mouse program or the keypads, once you look down/up and then look into a left/right direction, you end up looking at the world at a steep slant (depending on your mouse movements). This makes the free looking ability almost 100% useless because.... what's the point in being able to rotate the camera in any direction, if it completely screws up the display of your world?

If you could find a solution with your mouse method, than I think you will have created an excellent control scheme for all FPS and action games etc.
I've been attempting my own solution using the keypad.

The problem seems to be that once you've rotated the camera to look down/up, and then decide to turn it to the left/right the camera is turning via the original object or camera view. So instead of it rotating left and right from the new perspective (looking down/up), it is rotating as if you had never looked down (and thus is more like tilting your head to the left or right instead of turning your head.

I've been trying to solve this by using some type of reset the camera, or change the orientation whenever a directional key is pressed, but haven't had any success yet.

Let me know if you do.

Old
dubastot

Default 07-22-2009, 11:50 PM

Did you make sure you looked at it all properly. I fixed that error by adding 1 0% opacity sphere to control that. Just look at all my methods and objects a little more closely. I can't really tell you because I forget what I did and am unable to open the file up. So just take a good look! And good luck!

Old
dubastot

Default 07-22-2009, 11:52 PM

I have been working on my own fps, its still in its very early stages, but I can show you if you want. I can just post it if you want, butI won't post it now to avoid stealing.

Old
onij

Default 07-23-2009, 05:14 PM

Cool man. Whatever you want to do is fine with me: if you want to post it now, or after its done, or pm me or whatever. But yes, I would love to see it! I'm thinking about making a third person action game/fps hybrid, which is why I'm checking out your mouse controls.

Anyways, I may have downloaded an old copy of your mouse control demo thing, because the reason I wrote about the turning problems, is because that's what I was experiencing. After downloading and opening your mouse aiming program, I started moving the mouse around and saw that it had the same problem as mine.

I'll go experiment with what you said about using the transparent sphere to correct the problem, and I'll await your reply.

Old
dubastot

Default 07-23-2009, 06:54 PM

Could you actually post a link to the thread you downloaded. Hint: Just don't take my link post yours. Then I can see what the problem seems to be.

Old
Veryuhbull

Default 07-23-2009, 07:51 PM

This is my first small attempt. It uses wasd and arrow keys.
Attached Files
File Type: a2w aim engine.a2w (517.6 KB, 27 views)

Last edited by Veryuhbull; 07-24-2009 at 02:15 PM.

Old
dubastot

Default 07-23-2009, 08:22 PM

So ummm, is yours just like my aiming except has more?