Alice Community  

Go Back   Alice Community > General Discussion > The Lounge

Mummy walking
Old
rkfoote

Default Mummy walking - 12-15-2010, 06:16 PM

I just finished an assignment for my Programming Logic and Design course (Dallas County Community College District), for which I had to make a mummy walk toward a pharoah. When the mummy got close to the pharoah, the pharoah made a "mystical gesture" and then the mummy fell backward.

In general, the programming aspect of Alice has not given me any difficulties, but the animation has. I spent a few hours trying to get my mummy to walk realistically, and I finally just decided to be satisfied with what I had. I started off by trying to position the mummy in the various walking poses I thought would work, and then using those poses in the walking method I created, but I could never get the mummy back to his original pose so that he could start off there when the program began. Maybe there's some way to have him start off in a particular pose? If there is, I couldn't find it. So I ended up just using the turn method to make his legs look like he was walking instead of trying to capture poses and use them. I guess it just takes practice and patience to get better at animations!

Walking seems advanced
Old
timsally

Smile Walking seems advanced - 12-19-2010, 03:16 PM

Hey,

I can imagine the problems you had. I simply had him shuffle (isn't that what zombies do? ;-)) forward since I don't think we're at the point where we're expected to have realistic walks. I have worked with the idea in my spare time, but realized I'm not able enough at this point to impliment it in my assignments.

Tim S.

Old
David B

Default 12-19-2010, 08:08 PM

Is your problem similar to the one described in this thread?

Mummy assignment
Old
rkfoote

Default Mummy assignment - 12-20-2010, 11:56 AM

Hi David B,

Yes, we're all in the same class, and are requested by the instructor to post on alice.org about our assignments, which is why there are so many mummy problems posted on here.

Old
David B

Default 12-20-2010, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkfoote View Post
Hi David B,

Yes, we're all in the same class, and are requested by the instructor to post on alice.org about our assignments, which is why there are so many mummy problems posted on here.
Okay, I found it kind of akward that all of these mummy animations were being created by different people.