Alice Community  

Go Back   Alice Community > Alice 2 > Share Objects

Deck of Playing Cards (i.e. Poker)
Old
kroberts100

Thumbs down Deck of Playing Cards (i.e. Poker) - 07-31-2009, 07:55 AM

I would like to try to create interactive card games using alice. I can figure out how to create the games if I can figure out how to create playing cards.

Has anyone made a deck of cards (standard 52 poker-style playing cards)? If not, would anyone have a suggestion for how to create a deck?

Thoughts/comments:

Would one create 52 Individual cards?
Would it be better to try to create one card and have configurable properties (value, suit, color)?
Would it be possible to create an 'image' for each type of card and overlay that image onto a card object when displaying the cards?

Any thoughts, comments, insights would be greatly appreciated...

Old
Veryuhbull

Default 07-31-2009, 09:29 AM

What you could do is find and save pictures of all the cards. (outside of Alice) and bring them in as billboards. (or if you can add the cards to objects in a diferent program and bring in 3d objects) But billboards are tempermental sometimes and don't always function like other Alice objects.

Old
Niteshifter

Default 07-31-2009, 07:48 PM

I can tell you first hand that making a card game by clicking on the card is not going to work because you will get an error when trying to get information off of clicking an object.

I'm not entirely sure as to what you could do to fix this problem, but I'd thought I'd let you know so you can save some time instead of working a lot until you find out you are unable to do this .

wait a minute.
Old
Veryuhbull

Default wait a minute. - 07-31-2009, 07:59 PM

This may be a strech but could you not (two options.)
A.
1. bring in the card billboards
2. set the textures to resized squares
3. Use them

B. Have 52 object used to store inforamtion. And the options could be key pressed based on what you see, when really other objects (maybe vehicled to the billboards.) are controlling the game.

Old
Niteshifter

Default 08-01-2009, 11:40 PM

I'm almost certain that A is possible and B sounds possible to me as well.

Old
x2495iiii
Super Moderator

Default 08-04-2009, 10:57 PM

It also depends on how the card game will be played. Some games do not feature the backs of the cards at any point in the game, in which case you could import all of the fronts of the cards as billboards, then resize them as the first action in your world (one-dimensional resizing can only be done as a script, it cannot be done outside playback).

I don't know if making them texture maps is such a good idea, since texture maps often get finicky if the object isn't just the right size. Chris101b might know how to do that, though. He was always good with textures.

(')>

Old
b00kworm

Default 08-07-2009, 08:15 PM

In any card game, there will only be a limited number off cards seen at any given time. For exanple, in texas hold'em, the most cards ever seen is seven, five on the table and two in the player's hand. All you would need to do is import all of the textures and then assign them to the seven squares as necessary.

If you want to show cards being discarded for the flop, all you would need was two cards with the texture of the backs, one to stay on the table and another to move to it.

Old
danny2040

Default 11-16-2009, 09:13 PM

I have succsessfully imported 52 cards as bilboards. One at a time The last programfor my class is to make a card game.

Old
x2495iiii
Super Moderator

Default 11-17-2009, 03:15 AM

Impressive. Must've taken patience. If you feel comfortable posting it, I'd actually like to see how it turns out.

(')>

Old
alexqpp

Default 09-27-2011, 08:31 PM

You can make your custom deck of cards at http://www.printerstudio.com/unique-...ing-cards.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by kroberts100 View Post
I would like to try to create interactive card games using alice. I can figure out how to create the games if I can figure out how to create playing cards.

Has anyone made a deck of cards (standard 52 poker-style playing cards)? If not, would anyone have a suggestion for how to create a deck?

Thoughts/comments:

Would one create 52 Individual cards?
Would it be better to try to create one card and have configurable properties (value, suit, color)?
Would it be possible to create an 'image' for each type of card and overlay that image onto a card object when displaying the cards?

Any thoughts, comments, insights would be greatly appreciated...

Tags
cards, deck, games, poker