Alice Community  

Go Back   Alice Community > Alice 2 > How do I...?

How do I combine objects into one?
Old
AdamZ628

Default How do I combine objects into one? - 10-16-2014, 12:09 PM

Say I want to add a sawblade to the spacerobot's arm, the sawblade is a separate object and , therefore, the spacerobot cannot be saved as a new class.
We're building new enhanced classes based on concepts from Chapter 4's Enhanced clever skater and would like to add classes as subclasses of the parent class to control it all.
Can one add new parts to an existing ALice class?
Adam Z
- HS Alice teacher for 6 years, prog teacher since '93

Not pretty or perfect but it works.
Old
chickentree
Super Moderator

Default Not pretty or perfect but it works. - 10-17-2014, 01:36 PM

Hi zDog,
Here is my answer. Basically create methods/functions to stick the saw on the robot where you want it and change its vehicle accordingly also save the saw object so the robot can refer to it as needed.
I have done this in the attached movie.
The only problem I have is that the attachableRobot wouldn't export! Not sure why that is but from the error it could just be a Mac thing.

Hope it works for you, let me know

Mark
Attached Files
File Type: a2w RoboSaw.a2w (1.79 MB, 3 views)

Mark Henwood
mhenwood@ieee.org

Thanks but...
Old
AdamZ628

Default Thanks but... - 10-20-2014, 09:56 AM

Thanks Mark,
That's a sweet robot example with fantastic methods in usage of boolean switches and the like.
But a value for the variable "attachment" can't be saved into the attachablerobot class. This is the same brickwall I (we) hit and is the reason for the original post. It is not a Mac thing.
So the question remains,
How can we make the sawblade (or any object) become a subclass (like an arm or leg) of the attachablerobot?

Thanks
Adam Z

My advice
Old
jrrTolkien

Post My advice - 10-20-2014, 04:43 PM

As far as I know, there isn't a solution to that. I too have wanted to do that in a few of my worlds, but to no avail. The best advice I could offer is the same as what Mark suggested.

However, all the a2c objects are actually zipped folders, so if you open them like a zipped folder, you can see all the subparts as individual files. So, in a perfect world, you should be able to just drag the "Saw" object into the robot's folder. However, we do not live in a perfect world, and for some reason, it's impossible to copy the files while in compressed format. Extracting them does no help, either, try it, and you'll see what I mean. Perhaps in the future it will be possible, though...

-jrr

Arwen: “I would rather share one lifetime with you than face all the Ages of this world alone.”

-April Signature

Thanks
Old
AdamZ628

Default Thanks - 10-21-2014, 09:50 AM

Thanks Mr Tolkein,
I was going to go that route today but am glad I checked here first! No reason to take the journey to Mordor if you've already chucked that ring.
Thanks ALice forum dudes. I'll be back often and if anyone needs anything give me a shout,
Adam Z

Old
sfunk

Default 12-16-2014, 07:58 PM

Search Alice gloo, an older member use to make very helpful programs is this gloo project does exactly what you're asking for. artyfishl was the user who created it.

If you are stuck on a project, check out the tutorials I made here at this link:

http://alice.org/community/showthread.php?p=36778#post36778

There are lots of tutorials on it so far, including some youtube videos, check it out

Or..

Go to my youtube channel to check out my alice 2.2 tutorials I have there..

http://www.youtube.com/user/sfunk1992?feature=mhsn